Options

Where can I find the DOD OS Requirements

When I took this position, I was forced to get the Sec+ and Oracle Solaris System Admin cert. I can find the requirement for the Sec+, but not the OS requirements that are necessary to support Solaris, Microsoft, and Linux. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    If you are talking about certifications, then the requirement comes from DoDD 8570.01-M. The most recent revision (January 2012 I believe) added the operating system certification requirement. More specifically, it requires that personnel be certified in whatever their 'core' job performance systems happen to be. So if you are doing Client Systems work, you would need a Windows 7 certification. If you are a system admin, then MCSA, or in your case Oracle Solaris.

Link to the most current reg: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf

Here is the specific requirement directly from the text:
    C3.2.4.8.3. In addition to the baseline IA baseline certification requirement for their
    level, IATs with privileged access must obtain appropriate Computing Environment (CE)
    certifications for the operating system(s) and/or security related tools/devices they support as
    required by their employing organization. If supporting multiple tools and devices, an IAT
    should obtain CE certifications for all the tools and devices they are supporting. At a minimum
    the IAT should obtain a certification for the tool or device he or she spends the most time
    supporting. For example, if an IAT is spending most of his or her time supporting security
    functions on a CISCO router, the IAT should obtain a CE certification for that equipment. This
    requirement ensures they can effectively apply IA requirements to their hardware and software
    systems.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Thank you. This was a major help.
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a Navy site, but it should provide a visual of the OS certs for each level.
    https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iat_flow.htm