Exchange 2010 & VSS Integrity Check

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

Do any of you have issues with the Integrity Check taking 2+ hours and resulting in periodic DOS while it runs? We have recently created a Exchange 2010 VM on Server 2k8 R2 and moved everyone over to the new system with the exception of 2 databases which remain on Exchange 2007.

I am curious how long it usually takes to perform the check on a correctly configured system. The storage in question holds about 750 GB of Exchange data. I do not have immediate access to the server to determine the number of transactional logs on the system.

Thanks ahead of time.

**EDIT**
This is an automated Integrity Check prior to a full backup as required per M$.

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are too many factors to guess on the time. However, the built-in, automated integrity check should not result in significant service degradation. What does your storage system look like?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Could you please elaborate on what information you are looking for?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Size, connection method, number of disks, spindle rate of disks, RAID level, RAID controller, array shared or dedicated to the database, etc. Also, number of mailboxes.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I will have to get back to you on that. I do not normally deal with the SAN, or even Exchange. I will ask around and hopefully get back to this thread tomorrow. What I do know is that our Linux admin and our SAN admin indicate there are no abnormal numbers during the Integrity Check. This includes Network traffic, Disk I/O, and processor utilization.

I have discussed the issue with the Linux admins for a while now and have eliminated almost every obvious answer. I have brought up the idea that when the exchange admin moved everyone from 2007 to 2010, a large amount of transaction logs were created and that we should consider circular logging to clear them and start fresh. However, our access is limited on exchange and there has not been a lot of information changing hands between our group and the exchange group, so it is a guess at best. I did get sent the audit logs which indicate 10 mailboxes in total. The Integrity Check ranges from 45 seconds to about an hour depending on the number of logs for the mailbox.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have seen the integrity check take forever after mailbox moves. However, it shouldn't interrupt service.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like you need a fusion-io device in your server to speed things up... drastically ;)