Options

Moving to Public sector - anything I should know?

swildswild Member Posts: 828
Before this year, I have always worked in the private sector in IT Support. This year I took a temp job at the Red Cross and absolutely love it here. Unfortunately, it is a temp job and there are no benefits. Being a nonprofit, there is very little money to spend anywhere, which I wouldn't mind if I had health insurance.

Last year, I was looking everywhere I could imagine for a new job and one of the first interviews I had was for a Networking position with the Department of Information Systems for the state. This was the only position I interviewed for that I never heard anything back on. Fast forward 6 months to last Wednesday. Out of the blue I get a call from them offering me the position. It would be a raise, plus full benefits, paid certifications and dues, and get me out of Tech Support and into Networking (my 2nd choice field after Security).

Everywhere I have worked so far, they have been mid-implementation of the first round of standardization of processes. So, I'm looking forward to having written procedures and standards. I know the idiom of "moving at the speed of government" so that much I am expecting. I'm sure that there will be surprises, but of the few of you who work in the public sector, what should I prepare myself for?

Comments

• Options
    hyperSCSIhyperSCSI Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for a state school, technically as an "intern" but I pretty much work doing things way out of league of an intern. Prepare for lots and lots of red tape. Really, you'll become insane with the stupidity of how some things are done. You can't do anything without approval from someone, somewhere. If it were up to my boss, he'd hire me as a part time staff member so I can get benefits, a fair pay (right now I make just as much as I did in retail), and so I can work toward tenure/pay raise. However, the department isn't allowed to hire someone. Kinda sucks since I am relied on, being the only other networking person on campus. /endrant

Edit: Also, you'll see how inefficient government is and where all your tax money goes to.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    The only thing you need to know about moving to the public sector...
    DON'T DO IT!!! RUN THE OTHER WAY
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    swild wrote: »
    It would be a raise, plus full benefits, paid certifications and dues, and get me out of Tech Support

Congrats!
    and into Networking (my 2nd choice field after Security).

There is LOTS of security work you can do within a Network. You put your security knowledge and experience to good use. I don't know too much about state level, but at the federal level, you're supposed to configure your networks in accordance with NIST guidelines. I know that states have to have some type of standards too, right?
    what should I prepare myself for?

I advise doing your best, and not getting comfortable there.

EDIT: As far as the public sector thing, I'm sure the citizens of the state want their money's worth. Do your best to not be ripping them off, and I doubt anyone has a problem with you.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I am honestly getting burnt out with Tech Support. So much so that I have stopped going any father on my certifications. Now that I am moving into Networking, I will be picking up my CCNP books again.

I told them during my interview that I am planning on going into Security but wanted to spend enough time in Networking to fully understand networks and work up to my CCIE before I try to secure them and go for my CCIE: Security. After that, they all laughed and said that no one in Security knows anything about Networking and they always have to work hand in hand, passing projects back and forth. I really thought that this is what cost me the job when I didn't hear back from them, thinking that they wanted someone who wants to be in Networking.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    swild wrote: »
    I really thought that this is what cost me the job when I didn't hear back from them, thinking that they wanted someone who wants to be in Networking.

There's a balance to maintain between being ambitious/motivated and performing the job they're hiring for. If another candidate wanted to make a career out of networking versus you saying this job would be a stepping stone for you, who would you pick?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    The only thing you need to know about moving to the public sector...
    DON'T DO IT!!! RUN THE OTHER WAY

AGREED, Been there and done that.

I know your doing it to serve a greater purpose but don't get idle while in the boat or you will end up like the lifers.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your experience may be different from mine , however here are some of the things I should've done that will save me much heartache:

1) Clarify verbal requests using a written trackable, medium, such as e-mail (even if its taking a coffee order!)
    2) Don't be over eager to volunteer for new projects, some of them can turn into full time jobs and people will assume you'll jump at volunteering for other "new" projects.
    3) Take time during your first few days of orientation to talk with HR if you have any questions on employee benefits and rights, mostly as an excuse to get familiar with them, once your in the thick of things you'll just assume that your manager is always right in those matters.
    4) NEVER ASSUME FAULT, if you make an error, point out the instructions you were given and how your actions are consistent with the instructions.
    If anything point out that a particular step was ambiguous, state the various interpretations and mention that you took what anyone would consider to be the reasonable course of action.
    5) If in doubt tell others that you need to clarify things with your manager, if anything the training is insufficient for the task you were provided.

I'll re-iterate HyperSCSI's point on seeking approval.
    The old addage "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission" doesn't hold true in a government job unless you're got some clout behind you.
  • Options
    hollisterhollister Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! One thing to add to the above advice - if you are working for a smaller IT shop (i.e. in an agency rather than centralized IT), these shops tend to be extremely understaffed. Especially in security. So you may be able to build your skills by noting gaps and carefully easing your way into filling them. This looks great to future employers.

The whole "don't volunteer" mindset has merit, and I work a lot harder than my teammates when I disregard it, but I've also been promoted three times in five years, when everyone else was under a wage freeze. YMMV.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My state probably has some of the best benefits for workers thanks to a solid union. To include health insurance with NO premium. Only a handful of others have that. My salary is comparable if not better than a similar private sector job around here. The flexibility I have with a family of 6 can't be beat elsewhere. I am extremely fortunate and lucky to be where I am. Not going anywhere anytime soon. The only way people have left my agency was via retirement. icon_rolleyes.gif

The big dogs in the larger departments are certainly stretched thin. It amazes me how they have time for anything, much less a question or two from a bottom feeder like me icon_cool.gif. New hires are extremely rare. And nearly all of them have been for application development roles, SQL, .NET, JAVA skillsets.

Of course, YMMV.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Go for it if your going to retire soon and wanna relax. Lots of red tapes, nothing gets done, low pay compared to private sector. My advice is to accept the position since its currently more rewarding then your current position and move on after a year or two.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    So I have been at my new job for about 3 weeks and have a pretty good feel for it. Like all jobs there are plus and minuses.

Health and retirement benefits are pretty awesome. After 5 years, I become vested in the retirement program and become eligible to draw a pension after I retire, until the day I die. Much better than a 401k.

Another perk is all of the free training. They are signing me up for all of the Cisco classes I want. I will be starting with Voice then move to R&S and then Security. I will most likely get my CCNP in all of those and then go for CCIE Security since that's where I want to end up. I also have the chance to go for Juniper, ITIL, or PMP training and certs.

My enthusiasm for Cisco has inspired my supervisor to upgrade his CCNP:Voice to a CCIE. We built a lab in out office and will be having a dedicated lab room in about 6 months. I have access to all of the Cisco equipment that I could possibly want. I just have to drive down to the warehouse and check it out.

I do have to adjust my work style to the private sector. We are double staffed compared to the private sector, just because of the administrative overhead. I'm on a team of 4 and we have maybe 20 trouble tickets and work orders per week.

I was able to break out Wireshark and fix a major issue which impressed everyone.

All in all, I'm pretty happy here and think that I will be able to obtain all of my Cisco certs that I want. I will see if I can obtain my CCIE within 5 years.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you do it... master "politics".

That's all I can say.
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you landed in a great spot. Gratz....
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you're going to enjoy yourself. Can I say that I'm a bit jealous?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Sounds great. Especially the training part. Take advantage of that for sure. Welcome to the public sector! :)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    swild,

I'm glad it is working out. I wanted to comment on the thread a while back - since I took a public sector job a few years ago. A job in any sector or industry is what you make it out to be.

Sure there will be some people who are clock-watching just waiting for retirement, but that's no different from the solitaire playing, seat-warmers I encountered in private industry. So far I've met quite a few people in state government who are dedicated, energetic and eager to make the most of the resources they are given. Take advantage of any and all training available - this is the first job I've had where they've actively offered to help pay or give me time off for exams and conferences.

Enjoy it man. People tend to down-talk public employees in general but you are judged by your contributions by the only person whose opinion matters - YOURS.

I'm betting you end up with your CCIE number(s) sooner than 5 years. If all I had to do was checkout equipment I'd be ALL OVER the CCIE Security!
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WOW!!! Sounds like you have a great gig; I'm happy for you!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Reap all the benefits and continue to work hard and learn. Public work can get boring sometimes but my advice is for you to stay focus.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not to be a pessimist but plan for retirement and pretend like the pension does not exist. I had a pension when I worked for the City but I knew there was no way I was going to be there forever. The problem now a days is so many public sector job's pension programs are underfunded. Somebody with more knowledge than me can feel free to correct me but from what I see on the news and read online being underfunded is the norm it is the amount of under funding pensions that is a growing problem.

Promises are made by people in charge who will surely be long gone and away from blame by the time payout is due and the people in front of you make sure they get theirs first. Sure pensions are protected by the PBGC which is the pension insurance plan that covers those who get screwed by a failed pension plan but if I am reading it correctly it does not pay you what you are owed it is a backup.

Heck I qualify for a VA pension and I don't plan on seeing that when I hit 58 or whatever it is for National Guard who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. The government is already warning the military that the current pension and benefit plan is not sustainable past 10 to 20 years max. Politicians made promises and nobody asked how those promises are funded.