Options

How long do I wait?

zmoney14zmoney14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Backstory: I had a phone interview with the Director of the IT department on Wednesday February 27th for a Senior Systems Position. They were particularly interested in some IP telephony experience and work that I had done in the past, so I was called back on Thursday Februrary 28th, to setup an in person interview for Tuesday March 5th. Both interviews went extremely well, and the director and other senior technician were very enthusiastic with my previous experiences and with some of things that I had suggested to them in the interview. At the end of the interview she stated that she wanted to recommend me for at least one of the posistions that they had available (had both a senior systems and assistant manager positions open), and asked that I provide her with some references.

Obviously, I was quite excited, so I provided her with a list of references immediately following the interview when I got home. I hear back on Wednesday March 6th from my references that they had all talked to her, and things went very well.

So fast forward to today, I still have not heard anything back. I've been stressing over it now since it just seems like they were able to rush me into the interviews and now have hit a wall..

Should I provide a check-in email or continue to wait? Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated in helping me with this matter.

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    In my opinion it never hurts to send an e-mail or two as long as you don't turn into a stalker. Some people might think that you aren't very interested if you don't send a follow-up e-mail. It's not like dating, you don't have to play hard-to-get.

Instead of asking too directly, just disguise it by saying something like: "It was nice to meet during our interview on March 5th. Thank you again for your time. I enjoyed the chance to learn more about the company and the exciting job opportunities."

Something like that would be enough of a hint. Don't worry too much, these things take time.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I don't think it would be a big deal to shoot an email saying something to the effect of

Dear HR Person/Recruiter,

I am very excited for the potential opportunity to work with xyz company for abc position. Can you please provide a status update of where we are in the interview/hiring process? In addition please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Thank you,
    zmoney14
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Let me give you some advice going into any interview.

You have to have a different mindset during the whole process. Going to interviews is like dating... seriously it is. Best thing to do is to keep an open mind about it and stop worrying over the "what if". Having the mindset of "If it happens great, but I'm going to move on" is the best way to do it. The right job will happen when you are not looking or getting your hopes up over it.

You have to go into interviews and get a better idea of what they are looking for, and how you and your skills fit the position. Adding to that, also mentions about areas that you might be a little "green" in and be honest about where your skills are in certain areas that they ask you about, and what you are willing to do to get you there. For example if you dont have experience in Cisco, and the job requires a CCNA, or CCENT, tell them you are working on it and have a lab setup at home. Be prepared to elaborate on something like that.

I've personally found that it doesn't help in your situation. If they really wanted you, they may have called you back for a 2nd interview. I think the bottom line for you is to move on, and not bother to send them any calls or e-mails.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Let me give you some advice going into any interview.

You have to go into interviews and get a better idea of what they are looking for, and how you and your skills fit the position. Adding to that, also mentions about areas that you might be a little "green" in and be honest about where your skills are in certain areas that they ask you about, and what you are willing to do to get you there. For example if you dont have experience in Cisco, and the job requires a CCNA, or CCENT, tell them you are working on it and have a lab setup at home. Be prepared to elaborate on something like that.

Good advice. Also, ask your own questions. Often you can steer and lead the interview. It can be a conversation, not always an interrogation.
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I've personally found that it doesn't help in your situation. If they really wanted you, they may have called you back for a 2nd interview. I think the bottom line for you is to move on, and not bother to send them any calls or e-mails.

Bad advice. They did call him for a 2nd interview and they checked his references. I have seen it take 2 weeks just for some slow HR person to draft an offer letter. If your advice is to "move on" because they may not want him, then there would be 0 risk in sending an e-mail.
  • Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If they went so far as to actually contact references, that's a pretty good sign. I wouldn't sweat it too much, as a few have said these things do take time sometimes. It may be they're waiting on some higher approval to authorize an offer letter, HR might be doing some final salary analysis to find out what to start off with in the offer, any number of things.

I'd just suggest patience, if you don't hear something next week then maybe send a follow-up email as Larrydaman suggested.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    It is important to keep in mind that HR probably is not as motivated as you are for the position. I had 3 interviews with my company and then there was a month of dead time (no contact at all) before my fourth because of "HR delays." In one month I contacted my interviewer twice via email. Don't badger, but be sure to keep up with the position. Generally a company will not call contacts until they have made the decision to hire. A background check and other HR or managerial activities may be causing the delay. But having been in the position, I can see how it is easy to assume the position has gone to someone else.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think almost 2 weeks of non-contact is enough to prompt a request for status update.
  • Options
    zmoney14zmoney14 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good news. I did end up sending an email, and much to my delight, they emailed back and stated that I was the preferred candidated, and they are setting up a final review call this week. A bit troubling that I had to do the contact, but rightfully so, they have stated that they are understaffed and are in a very time slot, hence the need for my position.
  • Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Corporate hiring can take some time, much more time than you would expect. Two weeks ago I was offered a job from an interview I had back in January. I applied for it the first week of December.

Don't be put off by it.
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    I'm in the same position. I interviewed for a position a little over two weeks ago and haven't heard anything since then. Believe I will send the hiring manager a quick email to find out the status of the position. I don't think an email or two would be an issue......
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good for you!

Something else I read last night, I liked the idea. If the company is expanding (ie new offices in same city, building larger plant, etc) you might want to send a follow up email saying something like this:

"I noticed that your firm is opening a new facility in xxxx and was wondering if setting up the infrastructure there would be an important part of this job." Then you can tell them how you have done similar things in the past. Again, another opportunity to get yourself known.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Bad advice. They did call him for a 2nd interview and they checked his references. I have seen it take 2 weeks just for some slow HR person to draft an offer letter. If your advice is to "move on" because they may not want him, then there would be 0 risk in sending an e-mail.

By 2nd interview, I mean by 2nd in-person interview. It's good that they checked his references, but again my point is to not to get your hopes up either and to keep looking until you do get something official. I agree companies are slow, and take their sweet time getting back to people they have interviewed. I've instances with companies verbally or via email offer positions, but then drop the ball and never get back to me. Then again I've had multiple in-person interviews as well, contact my references, and then poof...nothing. I've send follow up letters after interviews, and get some response, no response, or something in the mail weeks later. Every company does things differently.

Bottom line don't put your eggs in one basket till you get something in writing. Good Luck!