Options

Upgrade MCSA Win 7 to MCSE?

pseudopseudo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm planning on getting the MCSA and MCSE certifications but am unsure where to start. The MCSA: Windows 7 seems like a good starting point for me, but I'm confused about how it would be upgraded to a MCSE. According to Microsoft's site, MCSA: Windows 7 would also get me MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7, which can be upgraded to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 with test 70-417. The 2012 MCSA could then be upgraded to a MCSE. But the MCITP is retiring in 2014, after that there would be no way to upgrade the Win 7 MCSA to a MCSE? And there's no way to turn a MCSA: Windows 8 into a MCSE? I find it odd that on Microsoft's site for the Windows 7 and 8 certs, they say "Next: Earn your MCSE certification" when there's no clear way to do that.

Is it worth getting the client MCSAs if the goal is to get a MCSE eventually?
Is it reasonable to try to upgrade a Windows 7 MCSA to a Server 2012 MCSA with just the 70-417 test, or will I be lacking the foundational server knowledge?
What would be a good MCSA to start with: Windows 7, or Server 2008, or Server 2012?

The MCSA: Windows Server 2012 seems a bit daunting to me as there are three tests to pass before you have anything to show for it, where with the Win 7 test you get a MCTS after the first one (for now). Also, I don't have experience with servers so the Win 7 test seems like it would be better suited for what I know. But the server certifications would probably be more useful in the long run?

Comments

• Options
    ITSupermanITSuperman Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the Forums!!!

Personally, I went the exact path you described; I got my MCITP: EDA, then MCSA: 2012 via the 70-417, and now I'm going after MCSE Private Cloud. Now some will advise you to go straight to the new Microsoft certification path, but my advise would be on how much time you have already invested on the MCITP path.

If none, great, I'd recommend going the route of MCSA. As for which path (Windows 7, Server 2008, or Server 2012), that depends all on you and what you're endgame is. Not knowing what you're final destination as an IT Professional is, and based on what you say you know and are comfortable with, you'll want to go the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure path. However, if you do intend to having any dealings with servers in the long run, I would recommend the MCSE: Server Infrastructure path.

Don't get hung up on the number of tests it will take you to get there, but focus on what you need to learn to get you where you want to go.
  • Options
    pseudopseudo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITSuperman wrote: »
    Now some will advise you to go straight to the new Microsoft certification path, but my advise would be on how much time you have already invested on the MCITP path.

If none, great, I'd recommend going the route of MCSA.
    But the MCITP path is the same as the MCSA: Windows 7 path, right?