SharePoint/Access question regarding linked tables

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
If I have an Access (2007) table that is linked to a SharePoint (2010) list, and I need to constantly update the Access database with new table information from a different database/table, what would be the best method to do this to retain the SharePoint list connection?
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't used Access Services to much since I have been working with SharePoint and I know most people would probably use Excel Services to get the functionality that you desire, but here is something you can try

To start the wizard (in Access), Click the External Data Tab->Click the SharePoint List icon in the group->Then
    you are required to enter the URL of the SharePoint site and indicate whether you would like to import the list data or create a link.

In this case:

Enter the full URL to your SharePoint Site, Click the Link to the Data Source by creating a linked table ->Then
    next, select the list required, click OK.

Also note the new item in the Access 2007 status bar located in the bottom right corner->Clicking the button opens a context menu that will permit you to:

Cache the List data locally, Work Offline.
    If you choose to Work Offline, the online link between Access and the SharePoint list is removed with your data now existing independently in Access
    Note how the linked list icon changes to reflect the status of the list.

Now that the list is offline:

Open the list -> Add a new Record using Access.
    Once you have added the new record you will need to synchronize the changes to SharePoint:

On the Status bar click the button titled Offline with SharePoint ->Select Synchronize.

Access will now update the SharePoint list with your new records!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Thanks for the information. I should have clarified, but I have that aspect working. The customer pulls data from a remote database that has updated table values. I think it's going to be a matter of running a query from the new table to import to the linked SP table so it can reflect the new changes. This way SharePoint doesn't keep creating new lists, as SharePoint doesn't overwrite old ones, or else I would just link the new table to SP.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)