Options

Resume Question

My wife graduates from nursing school in about 7 more weeks, and by mid-June should have her RN license and a job. Based on the going rates in our area for new RN's (22-25/hour), she's going to be making more than I do. So much more, in fact, that I would probably need a promotion to catch up. We've discussed things, and we decided (rather I did) that since she's had to dance around my career for such a long time, perhaps it might be time for me to do the same. She LOVES what she does, she's great at it, and her possibilities to advance are unlimited if she has more freedom in her scheduling.

Which leads me to my question. I will probably leave my current job and go to something part-time in IT, but when I put in my resume, if I am totally up front, would look like madness for a part time position. The craziest part is that I have an MBA. I got it when I worked at a previous job thinking it might open me up to advancement and improve my outlook there. It did neither. When I draw up a resume soon to get ready to transition out, I'm thinking about leaving this piece of information off. Granted, I could explain it in the interview, but it would feel odd. Should I leave it off, any tips for working a resume like this?
"If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
"Great things have small beginnings."

Comments

• Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If she has a steady income + benefits/insurance and you just want something part time, maybe look into self employment / consulting type work.
  • Options
    Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    wes allen wrote: »
    If she has a steady income + benefits/insurance and you just want something part time, maybe look into self employment / consulting type work.

I've thought about it, but I'm not sure if I like the unsteadiness of it. I've done stuff through WorkMarket, but that platform seems to be drying up. All I seem to get are printer repair jobs (I'll install em, but I do not repair them). Plus, with their switch to allowing applications for jobs, things have dried up. General consulting intrigues me, but I'd have to find a way to break in to it.
    Polynomial wrote: »
    Where is the MBA from?

Walden University. My concentration was in Human Resources.

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Walden University. My concentration was in Human Resources.

If I had a dollar for every higher ed article I've read or had a conversation about... (I work in higher ed)

Its quite possible you suffer from nameless MBA syndrome where the ROI is bad. Also I'm not sure how much HR is relevant to IT business needs.

If/when I go for an MBA it'll be the high tier or bust.

It stays on the resume though.
  • Options
    If I had a dollar for every higher ed article I've read or had a conversation about... (I work in higher ed)

Its quite possible you suffer from nameless MBA syndrome where the ROI is bad. Also I'm not sure how much HR is relevant to IT business needs.

If/when I go for an MBA it'll be the high tier or bust.

It stays on the resume though.

So just be honest and say I'm downsizing my career to improve my wife's? I have no issues with that whole idea, but I know in a still very male-centric workforce that can be seen as a cop-out or a weakness.

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your wife is just starting out and you are already looking to bail to part time? I understand you think she will love nursing but she may get into a department where she hates it. I would hold off on the bailing piece until she has established herself as a nurse for a while.

I would consider remote work if at all possible. What type of technical skills do you have? If you realllly want to go part time I would get with a contracting agency, there are a lot of companies with tight budgets looking to bring someone in temporary on a part time basis. You may even pick up some strong skills in doing so.

I would list your BSc and MBA-HR on your resume. It may not be Princeton or Yale it still is better than 0.

Good luck
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Why are you looking for just part time?
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Your wife is just starting out and you are already looking to bail to part time? I understand you think she will love nursing but she may get into a department where she hates it. I would hold off on the bailing piece until she has established herself as a nurse for a while.

I would consider remote work if at all possible. What type of technical skills do you have? If you realllly want to go part time I would get with a contracting agency, there are a lot of companies with tight budgets looking to bring someone in temporary on a part time basis. You may even pick up some strong skills in doing so.

I would list your BSc and MBA-HR on your resume. It may not be Princeton or Yale it still is better than 0.

Good luck

Things where I work aren't exactly roses and rainbows. Management turnover has gone through the roof in the past 6-8 months (one location has had 5 (FIVE!) GM's in less than a year), our past few district visits from corporate have been awful (except for my location, we actually seem to do things right), and the micromanagement is increasing. There's a culture shift under way that is taking the organization away from where it was just over a year ago. What used to be a company that valued doing things right, no matter the cost, and taking care of all employees from the top on down has changed to chasing the all mighty dollar. Granted, I know businesses exist to make money, but there has to be a fine balance between profits and doing things right. A friend of mine, at the same position I am in another location, recently pulled three double shifts in a row because of another manager that went AWOL and disappeared. His 44 hour week became 74 hours. And there is no chance to get that time back, all because corporate is on a no-OT rampage. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point.

As for my wife, she's pretty much decided anything is fine so long as it's not Peds. The value of her clinicals is she knows what various departments are like and she knows what to expect. Aside from that, my schedule might restrict her from job offers, and with a family to take care of, I figured I should be the one to take the hit.

I have thought of working remote, and even temping. Or using the skills I'm getting at WGU (Software emphasis). All things I will consider as the time arrives.

• Options
    Why are you looking for just part time?

So that my schedule becomes more flexible for my wife. As a nurse, she is actually looking forward to working nights and OT. Going in requesting nights in this area is actually a great way to get a foot in the door during the application process, and OT is plentiful everywhere. With the way my schedule is now, there's not an easy way for her to do this. Heck, at the lower end of the local going rate, 1 shift of OT every other week adds up to an extra $7000 a year. That's an actual realistic thing to happen. Added to what she would bring base at that same rate, I'd have to get a promotion to catch up to her. Financially, I could go part time and we'd still come put ahead at the end of the year.

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could apply as a mentor at WGU. I believe they have an HR program and it's a 100% remote. Might be worth a shot
  • Options
    I don't think this scale back plan has any long term career benefits.

Not sure how long you like playing catch up.
  • Options
    I don't think this scale back plan has any long term career benefits.

Not sure how long you like playing catch up.

I'm likely to end up being the secondary bread winner in the household for a long while. Nurses salaries are pretty crazy, especially if you branch out into specialties. Cardiac cath nurses in Indy with experience average $85-90K, and I have that on excellent authority. And with my wife wanting to eventually get her BSn and then her masters, I think anything along the lines of a normal career would interfere. Add in the possibility of more kids, I could end up a stay at home dad.

• Options
    I'm likely to end up being the secondary bread winner in the household for a long while. Nurses salaries are pretty crazy, especially if you branch out into specialties. Cardiac cath nurses in Indy with experience average $85-90K

I'm up against a pharmacist.

Just makes me more motivated ;)