Options

Moving up from the outside

sol-badguysol-badguy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I've been lurking on the forums for a while and learned a good amount of valuable information. I read in the CCNA forums for lab tips and passed the CCENT last week and I am about to tackle the ICND2 in 2 weeks. Currently I am working as a Deskside technician for about 2 years and before that was promoted from call center totaling around 4 years experience.

I decided that I want to move to a NOC position to start my networking career and get the experience to go along with my eventual CCNA certification. Some people at my job advised me to just take another desktop support position and try to move up, but:

1.) I don't think I could stand spending another year or two at desktop support because it's no longer challenging.
2.) I see guys who's been in the deskside for 10+ years here and I don't want to get comfortable and
3.) I believe it's possible to find a entry level NOC position somewhere with my CCNA certification.

What do you guys think would be a good move in my position? Trying my luck at a NOC even with no experience or taking a deskside role with hopes to move up?

Comments

• Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I had much the same situation as you. I had to find a new job because I was not going anywhere at my last one. Now I'm working on IP and Sonet networks all day everyday and it's a WHOLE lot better than desktop support, plus I'm learning a lot in a short amount of time. I would say start looking for a new job. The general rule I have been given and followed thus far is give a company 2 years. If you haven't moved up within those 2 years you need to move.
  • Options
    Sounds like where I want to be Jackace, Did you just find a entry level gig in networking or move to another deskside support role to get there?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some organization treat the service desk and desk side as a minor league for some upper level positions and as you well know some others do not.

You can get a NOC position with the 4 years experience and the CCENT.
  • Options
    I moved to a provisioning group with a service provider. I turn up new circuits all day and provide tier 2 and 3 support.
  • Options
    Jack sounds a lot better than reseting passwords and putting Outlook clients back on line.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Jack sounds a lot better than reseting passwords and putting Outlook clients back on line.

VERY much so. It was a great move and I'm getting good experience. I'm also now working on the CCNP and they are paying for it.
  • Options
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    @OP, for some reason I can't PM you. We have an immediate need for a NOC technician in Maryland. PM me your contact info and I'll shoot you an e-mail with more details about the position.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    I agree, that's the part that is driving me crazy right now...the password resets, outlook stuff and re-image.

prtech, I think because I just recently joined I am unable to PM others too.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    My company is looking for some NOC Level I guys here in NOVA. If you get your PM figured out, drop me your resume.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm able to recieve PM's now. I will send a message.
  • Options
    It states your not accepting PM's right now, send me a message.
  • Options
    Jad207Jad207 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You won't be able to send pm's until a certain number of post or unless you contact the admin to update your account. had the same issue when i first joined.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Nutsy wrote: »
    My company is looking for some NOC Level I guys here in NOVA. If you get your PM figured out, drop me your resume.

Nutsy, I've got a guy who is looking for an entry level NOC position in NoVA, what are the details? Can't PM you either.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Somnipotent,

I am not a recruiter so I do not have the exact job description. Let me see if I can dig something up. Also, I will post again when I get the PM fixed.
  • Options
    TE Members,

I replied to the e-mail when I registered stating that if I wanted to PM just reply. I haven't heard anything, and the PM feature still seems to be disabled. Is there anything else I can do?
  • Options
    All,

Sorry for the delay. Here is the job description. Let me know if you are interested. Good day.

U.S. Citizenship is required.

Job Responsibilities:
    • Troubleshoot and resolve customer and upstream provider routing issues in a timely and efficient manner through the utilization of various networking analysis tools and US Courts systems.
    • Provide support for a complex network environment including problem solving, ability to take ownership of unfamiliar tasks and problems and see through to completion.
    • Coordinate and fulfill all new customer turn ups including configuration, routing updates and other network implementations such as BGP routing, filter list application, routing protocol conversions, etc.
    • Coordinate and fulfill all change management requests from customers including configuration changes, routing updates and other network changes such as BGP route additions, filter list changes, routing protocol conversions, etc.
    • Act as escalation point for issues escalated from the Tier I NOC Support Engineering team. The NOC Technician also providers mentoring, training and coaching to Tier 1 NOC technicians.
    • Utilize the HEAT trouble ticketing system to track ongoing reports and service requests through to completion

Job Qualifications:
    • 2 years of network monitoring or administration experience
    • 2 year degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience in related field
    • Previous help desk or phone experience a plus
    • Great communication skills, both oral and written
    • Must be able to work flexible hours, shift work, weekend, holidays
    • Experience with major Internet protocols, such as DNS, LDAP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DHCP HTTP/HTTPS, RADIUS
    • Cisco experience a BIG plus (CCNA/CCNP preferred)