Video conferencing software

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Can you share what products you folks are using in the workplace for video conferences and your feedback on them?

We are currently using Skype, but I want to maximize quality as much as possible. Skype, although popular...still requires the other users to setup accounts. I'd like something I can just email a link or ID for.

Cost is not an issue, but looking at the basic offerings. We would need something that can manage less than 5 people. Nearly all of the time we have used Skype, it's been 1 on 1.

Simplicity and quality is most important. Especially since I can only control my bandwidth/equipment here, not whoever is at the other end. I'd rather go in knowing I did all I could for my side. icon_cool.gif

Looking at Adobe Connect, Infinite Conference, Citrix GotoMeeting or Cisco Webex. They seem to be the leaders.
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried looking at Microsoft Lync

Video Conferencing | Lync - Office.com
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Not if it requires servers to be purchased or managed? I see there are "online plans" though.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've usually have had good experience with WebEx. Most of the environments I have been apart of have gone with that solution.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WebEx here as well
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Have you tried looking at Microsoft Lync

Video Conferencing | Lync - Office.com

I know cost is not an issue, but Lync isn't cheap and you also build in administrative overhead; it can be a lot or a little depending on how much you do with it.

I hear a lot of good feedback from people that have used Easy Online Meetings With HD Video Conferencing | GoToMeeting; even more than WebEx. You can pay for many years of either of these services for less than Lync will cost just to install.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    webex for small shops even business grade skype. If you have the $$$$$ hosted Telepresnce is pretty nice
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    I know cost is not an issue, but Lync isn't cheap and you also build in administrative overhead; it can be a lot or a little depending on how much you do with it.

Not an issue, but I also specified the amount of people we usually use. So obviously I don't want to build a datacenter for such a thing. ;)

So...something cheap for the usage is better. :)
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He said he is looking for a video conferencing software, i think webex works just fine for what you need.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Not an issue, but I also specified the amount of people we usually use. So obviously I don't want to build a datacenter for such a thing. ;)

So...something cheap for the usage is better. :)

So, spending thousands of dollars; installing and maintaining a large server application; deploying multiple clients and extending your AD schema is considered overkill for 5 people when a light weight web app will do the job???
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...