Options

Confused.

TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'd like to introduce myself.

I have been in IT since 2000, where I started off as a Junior Developer, took a hiatus and got back in the game round 2005. Since then I've done primarily IT Support in one form or another, but over the past 3 years I've been in networking; primarily Cisco.

Now the extent of my network is small business networks, 100 - 500 nodes at most. Nothing major. The thing is I'm kind of at a cross roads at this point. I'm still pretty passionate about IT, but networking (while not boring) is killing me. I'm officially silo'd into just networks and while I'm pretty good at what I do.. I'm not finding satisfaction and well most of the time more frustration than "wow" moments. I also have to say that I've met some networking guys who are "very into" networks and well I either dont understand or am completely bored with it, and I have a gut feeling it's just not the path I want to be down long term. It has however increased my salary in the past 2 years by 50% - but I feel this is just a combination of experience + certification and the roles I'm applying for. I'm currently in an MSP.

My question is more along the lines of.. what do I do?? I work with everything, Server 2003/2008, Network Services (DHCP,DNS,IIS) VMware 4 & 5.1, Linux, Exchange 2003/2007/2010, Server 2012.. Routers/Switches/ASA/Wireless, VoIP- I mean whatever it takes right??

So how do I streamline my skills and get out of "just networks" I think I'm gonna have to shoot myself.

Current Certifications: CCNA/CCNA Voice

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of all those things you work with, what do you like the most? Certify yourself in that, tailor your resume accordingly and get out of your current job while you are still sane. You appear to have some great skills and shouldnt find it too hard to find a new role. Have you considered Security too?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Havent considered security no. I like vm, server os, and managing systems - not so much implementing, but managing definitely and troubleshooting. I was thinking MCSA 2008 for an MS cert. vcp costs too damn much - and maybe a Linux cert, I do a lot of work with LAMP on top of being the network engineer.. right now I kind of live in ASA/Sonicwall/Routers/Switches - some vm, maybe build out some iscsi and storage arrays but nothing crazy at the moment. I eat/breathe cisco right now.. ugh.. I'm even migrating some data centers and building out new network etc..

my biggest pet peeve is inheriting networks that were designed so poorly that I have to re-build half of it to implement my new systems..
  • Options
    If you combined VMware knowledge and the Cisco stuff you know already, mate you are worth gold bullion. Seriously!

VMware training is NOT as expensive as you think mate. Check out the Inexpensive VMware training thread in the Virtualization forums here on TE, you'll find you can do it for something like $220 (add a few bucks for the textbook and $65 for the exam (you get a 70% discount voucher for the exam on completion I think)).
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed with Ess.

VM, VM, and VM
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I can relate to that. There is a certain degree of boredom and lack of creativity in Networking/SysAdmin work COMPARED to development. I miss development terribly, and I'm doing it part-time now. I might move to full time development or scripting roles. Maybe if you move to Network design roles (Architect/PreSales) you might it enjoy it more than the day to day operations where certain tasks become a routine - I don't know. If you are looking for more fun, challenge yourself and pass the CCIE ;)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    If you combined VMware knowledge and the Cisco stuff you know already, mate you are worth gold bullion. Seriously!

VMware training is NOT as expensive as you think mate. Check out the Inexpensive VMware training thread in the Virtualization forums here on TE, you'll find you can do it for something like $220 (add a few bucks for the textbook and $65 for the exam (you get a 70% discount voucher for the exam on completion I think)).

Now that's an interesting point. I've been looking for jobs and I noticed how having VMware skills with Linux is gold.

So this training you're referring to, is it an online course? and what kind of hardware do I need to practice and pass the VCP ? I have VMware workstation on my laptop, but that's it (excuse my ignorance).

• Options
    VMware + Linux would be great too I reckon.

It is an online course with pre-recorded lectures and a series of labs you got to run through. You have an instructor who guides you through it all, you can ask questions as you go. It's self paced and you can do all the labs in a week or two or run the full length of the course. You can have the instructor reset your labs for you so you can do stuff over and over again (though it's better to have a lab at home). Have a look at the thread I mentioned, there's a wealth of info in there.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Thanks Essendon icon_cheers.gif

• Options
    Neat. i guess i can look into it
  • Options
    Ok, so I'll be signing up for the VCP class for cheap, thanks guys.. wish they had a class for the MS stuff lol
  • Options
    Welp, guess I got better?? My employer laid me off and I ended up at an MS Partner -- no vmware (hyper-v), but some cisco asa work and r&s and servers.. guess I'll stick it out for a bit.
  • Options
    ToomsTooms Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security would be a sooner than later possibility. Security kind of comes with the territory for networking if you're doing it right.

Citrix XenApp and VMware are both pretty good specialties right now. I dont recommend shooting yourself though. Sounds like you got enough experience in networking where you can apply for maybe other IT areas and get the job.