No Engineering degree

p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Just a few questions....

I'm looking to start a new career and get into Networking and doing some Cisco courses.

With no prior experience should I do Ccent before ccna? Also with no prior jobs in I.t would I be able to get an entry level job with these qualifications?I have experience in pharma sales as medical representative .I worked for 4 yrs but left the job as it was fully outdoor & target-oriented.I was not successful in selling.I'm facing a mid-career crisis.

I'm in my mid 30's from Calcutta,India.

I'm doing the CCNA course from a reputed IT training center in Calcutta which is also a CISCO gold partner.I am BSc (PCM) & MBA(Marketing). Since I dont have a Engineering degree in IT/ECE will I get any chance to work in pure networking or I will have to work in call centers?

Or should I go back to sales profession where I was a failure?I dont like sales at all but i will consider going back to sales as last option if there is no hope in networking or it will be too late for me to get job in ccna field.

Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Don't get discouraged. Many people change careers all the time. I think that you are doing it smart and trying to obtain certs before you get hired. With certs you come with proof of knowing something...

Understand that you may not jump into a high paying job first time out as most IT jobs care about experience. You may start in a help-desk position but thats just paying your dues. After 6 months to year you'll probably be able to move up. I would suggest pursuing all the certs in the field you want to get into. IT is huge field and the jobs are out there but you have to be willing sacrifice here and there.

IT is a wierd circular logic: To get hired they want you to have experience... to get experience you need to get hired....
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We can't tell you the job market in India. In the US, you can do just fine without a computer science or engineering degree. That's not to say those degrees don't help, but they are hardly requirements for working in IT, especially in network engineering.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • p1xelsp1xels Member Posts: 114 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sir,Thanks to both of you for your kind advices.Actually I am in a hurry to get established as I am the only earning member in my family after my father who he is retired and very old & in bad health.We are living on his pension & house rent.