VPN connection to applications?

George89George89 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi i am currently studying CCNA but that aside, i have an idea and need to know with a VPN connection to a network with files could you install programs in the network folder i.e microsoft word, and then run microsoft word on a computer without microsoft word installed, so in other words the network folder is acting as a harddrive once VPN connection is established.
I hope you get what i mean
3 x 2950 switches
3 x 2600 routers
1 x 3640 router
3 x HP Priliant G3 Servers running linux ubuntu

Comments

• PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    George89 wrote: »
    hi i am currently studying CCNA but that aside, i have an idea and need to know with a VPN connection to a network with files could you install programs in the network folder i.e microsoft word, and then run microsoft word on a computer without microsoft word installed, so in other words the network folder is acting as a harddrive once VPN connection is established.
    I hope you get what i mean

There are a couple of issues with this...

Programs such as MS office do need to be installed on the computer, you can't just have the files sitting out there run the program by clicking on word.exe. If you were to open a VPN, map a drive, install to that mapped drive and then run the application; yes, theoretically it would work FOR THAT ONE COMPUTER. There would be issues with latency, etc and some programs will detect that it is a network drive and not allow the installation to happen, but yeah, technically, it could happen.

If you had a small program that didn't need to be installed you would still have speed and latency issues that might cause a problem, but you would have a much higher success rate.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Something similar can be done with Terminal Services RemoteApp.