Options

Collision Domain vs. Broadcast Domain

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I have looked over the Tech Exam notes and I'm still not clear what's the difference between the two domain.

Collision domains deals with the signals that crash into each other on a network while broadcast domain deals with what?

Is the broadcast domain higher up in the OSI model than the collision domain?

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A collision domain is a Layer 2 domain where collisions can happen.
    The most typical one is multiple PCs being connected to a Hub.

A broadcast domain is a Layer 3 domain where broadcasts can be send from one host to all hosts on that domain.
    A typical broadcast is a switched LAN.

Collision domains are broken up by bridges, switches and routers.
    Broadcast domains are only broken up by routers.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    lordy wrote:
    A collision domain is a Layer 2 domain where collisions can happen.
    The most typical one is multiple PCs being connected to a Hub.

A broadcast domain is a Layer 3 domain where broadcasts can be send from one host to all hosts on that domain.
    A typical broadcast is a switched LAN.

Collision domains are broken up by bridges, switches and routers.
    Broadcast domains are only broken up by routers.

What is being broadcast out in a broadcast domain? Something like ICMP?
  • Options
    ICMP could be one use (e.g. boardcast ping).

The most widely known is probably Windows advertising available shares and printers via broadcast.
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    VLANS created on the switches can also break up broadcast domains icon_wink.gif

And if I'm not mistaken, collisions are a layer 1 problem. I say this because the collisions occur on the physical medium and not necessarily associated with the appropriate layer 2 devices. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    RZetlin wrote:
    What is being broadcast out in a broadcast domain? Something like ICMP?
    Typical examples are ARP and DHCP broadcasts. I.e. when a DHCP client sends out a broadcast (DHCPDiscover packet) to find a DHCP server. Or when a TCP/IP client wants to communicate with another TCP/IP client on the same LAN, it will send out an ARP request broadcast to find out the layer 2 (MAC) address of the target client. These type of broadcasts remain on the same layer 2 segment/LAN. Network nodes in different layer 2 broadcast domains need layer 3 connectivity to be able to communicate with eachother. In reality (and recommended by Cisco), there's a one-to-one relationship between a broadcast domain (LAN or VLAN) and a layer 3 subnet.
    VLANS created on the switches can also break up broadcast domains
    Indeed. But it would indeed 'break' it up in to separate broadcast domain. You'd need a router (or layer 3 switch) to allow communcation between systems in both broadcast domains.
    And if I'm not mistaken, collisions are a layer 1 problem. I say this because the collisions occur on the physical medium and not necessarily associated with the appropriate layer 2 devices.
    Also correct. Collisions are caused by multiple systems putting an electrical signal on the same 'wire', which can be extended by hubs or repeaters (which btw both have colissions leds). You can separate collission domains by using a layer 2 (or higher) device. 'Adding another layer'...
  • Options
    My bad. You are right about VLANs and Layer 1.

Maybe I shouldn't answer these kind of questions after drinking beer icon_cool.gif