Options

How much weight in WGU's MSISA degree with 0 years of experience in Security?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
Weighing my post graduate education options in NYC and was wondering if someone were to graduate with this degree with 0 years of Security experience, how much value would there really be in the degree?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's always hard to say. It certainly won't hurt, but you probably won't see a short-term RoI, not that you really ever will, but for getting your first job in IT security it is really hard to argue that a master's degree adds value. Entry-level security jobs -- if there's really such a thing -- are going to go to any qualified candidate, and you don't need a graduate degree to qualify.

Now if you have IT experience but no security experience, I would argue a master's in IS is huge. It's a great way to break out of other IT and into security.

Either way, I generally think that in this field if a particular master's aligns with your goals, it's a good idea. Once you're past the question of if, it becomes a question of when. If you are currently not employed in IT at all and would be delaying employment by getting your master's, it is my position that when is not now. Nothing but professional experience qualifies you for IT work above entry-level. If you already have some experience, now might be a great time.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340