SharePoint site export/import

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
I am trying to import a SharePoint site for testing/verification purposes, and I am getting a timeout error:

FatalError: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

I get a string of other errors, similar to this, except different field types:

FatalError: Field type PublishingScheduleStartDateFieldType is not installed properly. Go to the list settings page to delete this field.

I exported from a TeamSite on Foundations 2010, and I am using Foundations 2010. I created a new TeamSite, and from management shell ran:

Import-SPWeb -identity http://asus/sites/site –path C:\Users\User\Documents\export.cmp

And now I am just trying to figure out the timeout. I tried this:

stsadm -o setproperty -pn database-connection-timeout -pv 300

...But no luck and I have no idea if it is even relevant.

Any SharePoint site import/export guru's? Could my issue be due to using SharePoint 2010 Foundations on a Windows 7 computer?

As of now, it does a timeout after 30 seconds, according to the log.

Edit: I resolved the timeout by installing SP1 and hotfix 2687557 (and then running PSCONFIG). Now I just have the field type error. I can see the column on the main site, of Scheduling Start Date, which lists the type as Publishing Schedule Start Date. Maybe that needs to be date and time? I will check with the person who created the column. I don't have any experience with Publishing columns.
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I should of known something was wrong, since I was having some many errors after export/import.

So I was told the server they were running was SP Foundations 2010... It was actually SP Standard 2010. So after installing SP Standard 2010 to match, the issue has been resolved.
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad you got it working. I was going to ask make sure that you had run Server Pack 1 for SP 2010. Is this a small SharePoint Farm you all currently have?

Also, FYI try to start using PowerShell instead of stsadm. Although you can still use it, this method is deprecated.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

That's funny you mentioned using PowerShell instead of stsadm, as I just read that elsewhere 5 minutes ago before checking in here. I will make sure to do that moving forward. I'm new to SP so I'm still learning. We developed a solution for one of our customers, migrating an Access based system to SharePoint, so it has been a large project. We are basically just testing the deployment strategies.

Do you know what the best practice is for deployment to a different server to use either export or backup for a site (and/or site collection)?

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the book Automating SharePoint 2010 with Windows PowerShell 2.0. That was written by the guy who did a ton of community work on tools for STSADM.

He talks about how to do exports and backup/restore to other farms and site collections in the book and gives excellent examples for you to add to your own toolkit.

This was literally one of the best PowerShell books I have read due to it's high degree of practicality.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Do you know what the best practice is for deployment to a different server to use either export or backup for a site (and/or site collection)?

I used stsadm, as I had problems using Central Admin (I can't recall exactly what the issues were), powershell is probably a better option though.
    I can't find all my notes, as I had some extra SQL related problems that you probably won't have, but I basically did this sequence below which worked well after I sorted out SQL.

Old Server
    stsadm.exe -o export -url http://localhost -filename C:\old.cab -includeusersecurity -versions 4 -overwrite

New Server
    stsadm.exe -o import -url http://newsharepoint -filename c:\old.cmp
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
    Does anyone know if there any advantage to doing a backup/restore over an export/import, or vise versa, on a different server?

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□