Options

Changing Jobs?

njclay2004njclay2004 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'll start by saying that I love my current company, been here for almost two years now and enjoying every minute of it.

However, I've heard from other colleagues in the industry and friends in hiring roles that for the Tech Sector, it can actually be detrimental to remain with one particular company for longer than, say, five years. The reason behind it, they say, is that employers tend to wonder if you remained with the company because you aren't qualified to do anything else or you got overly comfortable with the role.

I find that to be in stark contrast with the ideas of old, where tenure at a company is respected and showed a form of corporate loyalty.

Is there any truth to that statement? If so, what would you think is an acceptable time frame to remain at a particular company?

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Disclaimer: Extreme generalization, one size does not fit all

I think time is arbitrary but less should be devoted early in one's career so the skillset can rapidly expand before contracting (specializing).

When you play with more things early on (first 5-10 years of career) you will have a good idea of what you like, what you don't like, and what you will be happiest doing for $x.
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say it depends on how much your role has changed during your time with the company. If you've been working on different projects, getting promoted, or just simply receiving a raise, you should have nothing to worry about. If you've been performing the exact same tasks with no change in title or pay, it might be in your best interest to look for something new anyway.

Side note, there are just some employers out there who will always try to find ways to spin your decisions in a negative way... Spend too much time at a company? You were too comfortable there. Spent too little time at a company? You weren't comfortable enough. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Don't worry about these "flavors of the week" in regards to hiring techniques. Be comfortable with the decisions you've made and use that confidence to market yourself successfully in an interview.
  • Options
    njclay2004njclay2004 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the most part, I'm very comfortable with the choices I've made in terms of employment and marketability. For various reasons, I've changed companies every two years or so - in one case because the company I was subcontracted to underwent an extreme restructuring that changed the work environment, and others simply because I was offered better pay/better opportunities for education.

This place, however, I'm planning to stay for a long time... so I suppose in the end what HR at other companies do shouldn't mean squat, but I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about that if I do go the long haul and then for whatever reason need to abandon thread.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and welcome to TE.

It sounds like you have been at a few different companies. Based on your description, it sounds like you have more than 5 years of IT.

As @lsud00d said - there is no one size fits all. If you love your company and you like what you do, there is absolutely no reason to change company just for the sake of changing jobs. I have worked with many successful individuals with 20-30 years at the same company. Note: that doesn't mean that that they have been doing the same job at the company.

I do also know people that have been in the same IT job at the same company as well for 20 years but they are very good at their job and are very happy with their lifestyle. And it doesn't mean that they have stagnated either because technology changes and they adapt and learn to support their businesses along with new emerging technology.

You nailed it on the head - what other think should never mean squat to you.