Which Certs out weight the others?

Salt0912Salt0912 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was at a noc engirneering position, was laid off. We did basic technical support, help desk/desktop support, some networking, remote desktop and a bit of server(AD password resets) handling. Entry-level position and lots of down time, anyways. What I am really looking to do is development with mobile device and data base creation/administration i.e ios, android, windows phone, microsoft sql and php/mysql. unfortunately for me I was dropped into more of a helpdesk/ support everything (mobile devices included) for Government officials and executives. So I already have exp and some knowledge of that type of support. Again I would like to develop in the end but I need to make some decent money intill I can land a developer job(since this is going to take some time), I have financial obligations like everyone else and not a student.
So my questions are what certs out weight others and hold more weight on resumes? I have had lots of job interviews since my last position, which was recent. Some of the positions require server support or AD things of that nature that I am not 100% but its not limited to just that. I would like to just be well rounded but not waste my time with redundant certs. for example

1. Which cert has more weight then A+?
2. is CCNA, CCNP, or Network info-structure better then Network+? would Network+ just be good enough to be well rounded or do I need more to be fundamentally sound?
3. is there a Mysql cert and is the sql server differ greatly from Mysql?
4.What is better Server+ or server 2010?
5.Would one server cert i.e AD,sql server or server+ equal to having fundamental knowledge of servers?
6.Does one really have to get every windows cert xp,vista,7 and now 8 to able to show "knowledge of each windows version?" or is there a cert that compiles each one of them into it?
7.If I have to get Windows xp,vista,7 or 8 certs which one have priority over the other i.e Windows XP and 7 cert over vista and 8.
8. is security+ certs job specific and can I do without on my resume to be well rounded and have solid fundamentals.

I would like to take the shorest path to have the basic and be fundamentally sound. Not to basic or way to advance, I am again looking to move into development by the end of the year. Sorry for being a noob and asking so many questions, again thank you for any advice I can get.

p.s I don't have a BS degree and if I could skip all of this and land a developer job or what I need to land a developer job I would. If anyone knows of a good developer site or the developers on here, I would love to hear from you guys. I already have a macbook 2010 8gb ram and 120ssd with bootcamp windows 7. So I am good to go and looking to hear back from yall.

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Since you already have some experience I wouldn't advise the A+, it would be a low ROI at this point.

If you want to get into decent paying sys/server/network admin jobs, the MCSA 2008 (3 exams) and CCNA would make you a well-rounded candidate. You shouldn't bother with OS exams if you're not going to be doing desktop support. The Sec+ is good to have in general but more important for the federal contracting sector so if you don't plan on going there then it's not necessary.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would go for CCNA. At least you'll get some deeper insight into networking, which can help you as a developer.

I wouldn't bother with much anything else unless you want to really get stuck in infrastructure. MCSA or Linux equivalents are going to get you stuck. Drive hard for CCNA, then either get some serious programming self-study done or enroll in a CS program. Degrees aren't "necessary" in the dev side, but from what I've seen they hold a lot of weight and are required for relatively more positions than in infrastructure.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Salt0912Salt0912 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for your advise and what is ROI? I had a job offered at Rollins for 55k but the interview went well but I believe my lack of exp or certs cost me the job.

MCSA 2008 and CCNA, no OS exams and Sec+ is good for general fundamentals. note taken will look into this asap and federal contracting sector? never heard of it.

some jobs are asking for AD, outlook/exchange server exp or certs how do you feel about those or should I just stick to MCSA 2008 and CCNA.

Why MCSA 2008 and not MCSA 2012?

your advise is greatly appreciated just looking to grind out a respected cert in about 3months. I have decent downtime at my new position, pay is terrible.

@ptilsen CCNA and serious programming self-study for dev. yea my friend works at citrix and has some certs/little bit of dev knowledge, I see what your saying. I am not trying to get stuck either, thanks for the advise sir!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will address this from a networking perspective--

> 2. is CCNA, CCNP, or Network info-structure better then Network+?

Network+ < CCNA < CCNP < CCIE

> would Network+ just be good enough to be well rounded or do I need more to be fundamentally sound?

A Network+ should be enough if you're looking for roles where you use the network but are not responsible for its administration, operation, or maintenance. A CCNA would be more appropriate in a role where you configure routers and switches.

> p.s I don't have a BS degree and if I could skip all of this and land a developer job or what I need to land a developer job I would. If anyone knows of a good developer site or the developers on here, I would love to hear from you guys.

BTW, A+, Network+, Security+, Cisco.. these are all off-course if you want to be a developer.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    ROI is return on investment, essentially since you already have experience that will most likely cover the A+ topics paying for the exam would not be a good use of money at this point.

The MCSA 2008 is 3 exams, including AD, Network Infrastructure, and Server Administrator: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx#fbid=5rCwlIbeOUd

So if you started with the AD (70-640), you could tell the employer you are working towards the MCSA 2008 and perhaps they would foot the bill for the remaining 2 tests. Beware that the 70-640 is not a particularly easy exam...

I advise the 2008 over 2012 because 2008 is relevant now and will be for several years, plus it's a great base for 2012 and you can take an update exam (70-417) to upgrade from MSCA 2008 to MCSA 2012.
    I will address this from a networking perspective--

> 2. is CCNA, CCNP, or Network info-structure better then Network+?

Network+ < CCNA < CCNP < CCIE

> would Network+ just be good enough to be well rounded or do I need more to be fundamentally sound?

A Network+ should be enough if you're looking for roles where you use the network but are not responsible for its administration, operation, or maintenance. A CCNA would be more appropriate in a role where you configure routers and switches.

> p.s I don't have a BS degree and if I could skip all of this and land a developer job or what I need to land a developer job I would. If anyone knows of a good developer site or the developers on here, I would love to hear from you guys.

BTW, A+, Network+, Security+, Cisco.. these are all off-course if you want to be a developer.

Thank you for the advice and giving insight on the Network certs.
    lsud00d wrote: »
    ROI is return on investment, essentially since you already have experience that will most likely cover the A+ topics paying for the exam would not be a good use of money at this point.

The MCSA 2008 is 3 exams, including AD, Network Infrastructure, and Server Administrator: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx#fbid=5rCwlIbeOUd

So if you started with the AD (70-640), you could tell the employer you are working towards the MCSA 2008 and perhaps they would foot the bill for the remaining 2 tests. Beware that the 70-640 is not a particularly easy exam...

I advise the 2008 over 2012 because 2008 is relevant now and will be for several years, plus it's a great base for 2012 and you can take an update exam (70-417) to upgrade from MSCA 2008 to MCSA 2012.

wow...ok sounds great and makes a lot of sense, plan on virtualizing AD in virtual box or something similar. So I can get use to it and make myself familiar with the system. This makes a lot of sense to upgrade to 2012 after getting 2008. if all you need is one cert to upgrade 70-417.