Performance Review: Goal and Key Performance Indicator - Help!!

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Hello!
I work as Desktop Support Technician for a company. We will be having our Performance Review by end of the year, We have to submit goals and key performance indicators. Can you please suggest me which goals and KPI's should I choose? I am confused as this is my first time to do this.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Regards!

Comments

• About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Usually your boss can help with these but a goal you should always strive for is customer satisfaction and meeting (or exceeding) your SLAs. Another KPI would be continued education. While some places may not care about certification, it might not hurt to set a goal like MCTS or A+ if you are in desktop support.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Goals could be certain certifications related to your job duties, expanding your skillset by taking on more responsibilities, improving certain desktop support metrics (like first contact resolution percentage), etc.

KPI's will be both qualitative and quantitative and pertain to your specific company and can crossover with some of the goals I listed already.
  • wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have said you can use this time to improve yourself and let your manager know you want to grow. For example in past years I've stated I wanted to get my CCENT, 70-680 I also become an SME for various software we support on the help desk. My manager has other goals such as FCR Percentage and we have survey percentages we must maintain that help track our performance and overall satisfaction of our users.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just thought that I would add my own 2 cents since I am in management...

Usually when an organization is going through this process - submitting Goals and KPI's are in preparation of the next performance review process - not the previous performance review process. I'm guessing you are being asked to state what you believe you should be measured on for the next performance review cycle.

This is a common practice which is part of management by objectives (MBO) process.

A Goal is define as some objective that you want to achieve.
    A KPI is how you measure that the objective is achieved.

Usually a KPI is tied to a goal.

So for example:

MBO 1
    • Goal 1 - Increase the satisfaction rate of tickets that I am assigned.
    • KPI 1 - Receive a 90% customer rating on tickets on a monthly basis. Receive less that 1% negative rating in tickets during the fiscal year.

MBO 2
    • Goal 2 - Obtain an industry certification to increase my value to the corporation.
    • KPI 2 - Pass the HDI exam and obtain the certification by Q3 of this fiscal year.

The key part of the goal is that is must be measurable - that's what the KPI is for.

Hopefully your management can explain it's version or expectations. Normally, your goals should be aligned top-down with the corporate, group, department, and team goals.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After you've set your goals with your supervisor, don't be afraid to change them. If you do change them, make sure it's at least equally challenging.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always try to add thing taht add value to the company:

Decrease response time/ improve sla
    Decrease downtime
    Lower the budget (try to come up with something) for example analyze how much you spend on spare parts and get your number straight and maybe by replacing some old pc's with new ones might help to save money in the long run, just analyze your enviroment there is always a way to add value.
    Decrease the amount of tickets. Analyze the amount of ticket and co relate them to specific issues and try to look for a way to avoid repetitive tickets or you can develop a learning plan for end users to solve some basic issues.
    Develop a way to improve the inventory accuracy in large companies this is always an issue.
    Project delivery

Then set a way to measure this and analyze it monthly.