Options

Update of ICT Technician role so far...

CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
I have started working in the position of ICT Technician. So far my roles have been checking the pc's, changing keyboards, mice, printers etc. I've updated the printer database, so we know when the toners were changed etc. I've recabled all the pc's making them look beautiful lol. My next task is to clean out the filters in the projectors, some have so much dust, I think they've been around longer than I've been alive. I have also been setting up the school assemblies, projectors sound etc and making sure everything runs smoothly.

The problem that I'm having now, is that the person supposed to be training me...simply is not. He hasn't shown me how to set up temporary and full ID's, issuing fobs, SIMS and integrating me into what he is doing. Which I've learn't is not very much. He has kept the process of issuing the ID's a mystery and insists that its a matter of confidential information...but I'm one of the technicians? In relation to SIMS, he told me that I won't get my login details yet. Which is a farce, as lots of teachers have problems with the program and keep asking me for assistance. I had to by pass him and ask the network manager for my login details to play around with the program to understand how it works. I understand that I won't be administrating major changes, but I at least needed a grasp of the fundamentals.

There have been laptops sitting around for weeks now, the department needs them. But he isn't taking steps to fix them, password is needed to get into bios...which he doesn't give me. The screens/hard drives need to be replacement but he is secretive about giving out the process of ordering new ones.

I also feel I need to make my presence felt more, especially to key people and being more friendly. Which I have been, but I need to up it more. I didn't want to do this initially, because the network manager informed me that he wants the other staff to get the impression that we are professional and not wasting time unnecessarily.

Recently the person I work with told me "you don't belong here, you don't work here...you are temporary. You can get up and go wherever and sit down and collect your paycheck, I am not going to help you and I don't want to work with you" This rant caught me off guard as it came out of nowhere. I have been doing the job in a professional way, but he is bossy and likes to take the limelight in any given situation. The network manager likes me and knows my intentions to make this a permanent role. The person I work with has been at the school for a number of years, and is leaving at the end of the academic year.

I don't know whether to inform the network manager of this, or not to say anything. If the manager asks him for his opinion of me it will be bad, but by then I will have had 6 months experience. If I say something now, there is nothing stopping them getting rid of me now.
2014 goals: ICND2[]

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cerebro wrote: »
    The problem that I'm having now, is that the person supposed to be training me...simply is not.

Whether or not that employee's doing what they're told to, is their manager's concern, not yours.

Which I've learn't is not very much. He has kept the process of issuing the ID's a mystery and insists that its a matter of confidential information... but I'm one of the technicians?
    Did your manager ask you to learn how to issue IDs?

If no, relax, be professional, and focus on what your manager is actually paying you to do.

If yes, tell that to the other employee. If he refuses to help, then tell your manager the other employee won't share that info due to confidentiality concerns. This is then your manager's concern. Focus on other tasks.

he is bossy and likes to take the limelight in any given situation. The network manager likes me and knows my intentions to make this a permanent role.
    Don't take it personally. He likely believes preserving some secrets and taking the spotlight makes him more valuable and difficult to replace. This is not uncommon. Don't get bogged down in a power struggle you're unlikely to win. Do as much as they're enabling you to do, and find other means to obtain the info he's withholding, whenever possible.
    I don't know whether to inform the network manager of this, or not to say anything.
    I wouldn't inform your manager that you can't get along with another employee, as that might limit your future opportunities with this company. I'd only inform him if that guy blocked you from doing something your manager asked you to do.

• Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Thank you for the kind response. This week he did stop me from changing a broken mouse, but I am documenting everything and emailed it to the network manager. I didn't do this is a malicious way, I am documenting my checks with comments.

I am aiming to rise above this, to keep studying, improving my skills and gaining some valuable experience.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I don't understand your coworkers attitude towards the situation since you said he is leaving. If he was going to stay I can see it as protecting his job, but if he is leaving I think he might just be being lazy.

I am the type to deal with these situations head on. I would first try to talk to my coworker, let him know I feel a need to learn these things to continue to do my job. If he still resists teaching me, I would schedule a meeting with him and the manager and ask him right there why he isn't showing me how to perform tasks required.

This kind of behavior pisses me off to no end.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA