Options

So I'm in my grad class and...

GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
we were talking about what employees do to better themselves. Items like training, and going to school. I chimed in with certifications, naturally.

Then the professor asked why they, and we, were doing this. His answer was very good...

It's about staying relevant.

It kinda crystallized the reason why I'm pushing myself, for school and for certifications - I want to stay relevant.

So, what are you doing to stay relevant?

Comments

• Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Besides certifying right now im doing my masters in security, and daily check the latest news and trends to stay ahead. Also I go to IT companies presentations to be able to appreciate what others offers. As a manager I have to know which is the most cost-effective solution to my organization to avoid implementation problems or misunderstandings which could make me look incompetent.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good topic - I suspect that the idea of staying relevant in your career can mean different things depending on your aspirations.

For me, a lot has to do with just staying in touch with cultural trends towards technology. That's one of the big reasons why I read the TE forums. Where I happen to be in my own career, I find that to be relevant, I need to sometimes step away from the people that I work with. And because of the anonymous nature of this forum, I found that comments about technology trends and job challenges are a lot more genuine and unrestricted. One of my resolutions this year was to start to focus better on networking opportunities and to reach out more to my peers in industry. So far, I'm finding that to be the best way to stay relevant.

Your question reminded me a an article that I read a few months ago - http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/to-stay-relevant-in-a-career-workers-train-nonstop.html?pagewanted=all
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Working on getting my first couple certs this year, I frequent forums like TE, and am subscribed to a couple PC/networking magazines are just a few ways I'm keeping up with the IT universe.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Certifications, finishing grad school, subscribed to several networking ezines and magazines, and I attend every kind of training provided to me by both Cisco and my company. On top of that, professionally I try to volunteer for projects I might not feel comfortable with because I want to learn more
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Finishing my masters program and learning as much about scripting and automation as possible. Honestly I learn the most on the job. It's not even close.

Also writing resumes for a living and providing career counseling. My end goal
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certs, reading up on Technet, labbing. Thinking about a Masters at WGU, but not sure yet.
  • Options
    Being relevant is really key. I have a lot of things driving me at the moment: being able to provide for my family, succeeding for myself, going as far as I possibly can in any endeavor that I choose to do, and retiring early.

I personally feel a person should have more than one skill that they have mastered, and here I'm defining mastery as being able to make a good living. So what I would like to do with my life is first go as far as I can with IT. That includes short term goals such as getting certifications (CEH, ISSAP, maybe Linux+), medium term goals (become more well rounded as a IT leader - GCIH, CBCP, CCNA, leadership training), and long term goals (CCIE Security... I figure then I'll be done. Maybe become a Director or Sr. Director at some point - but it would have to have good work-life balance).

I would think maintaining all of that will keep me relevant for a long long time.

The other skill that I want to master is the world of finance and investing. I haven't completely defined what I want to do here other than trade or invest to make a good return, but I have the material and the will to be able to succeed.

Plus it would be cool to start my own business, whether it would be IT consulting or finance related. My dad had his own business, my father in law had his own business, and darn if all these MBA classes aren't giving me the desire to start my own business. It doesn't need to be huge - but it would be nice to have, say, a extra 50k a year. AmIrightoramIright.
  • Options
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    Being relevant is really key.
    Absolutely agree. Someone could be the most knowledgeable and skillful IT-related engineer but if it cannot be applied, it's useless. It really is about being relevant with the skills and the ability to apply them.
    I would think maintaining all of that will keep me relevant for a long long time.
    You mentioned a lot of different certifications. My only observation is that IT evolves at a pretty quick pace and staying relevant is not a point-in-time exercise.
    The other skill that I want to master is the world of finance and investing.
    Good luck with that. Just remember that most professional money managers don't beat the indices icon_smile.gif
    AmIrightoramIright.
    Yes - you are icon_smile.gif It's always great to be able to start a business. I haven't had too much success but as I see it, it will probably take me a few tries.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Good luck with that. Just remember that most professional money managers don't beat the indices icon_smile.gif
    I'm a Boglehead. Yep, I hear ya. :)
  • Options
    I'm a Boglehead. Yep, I hear ya. :)
    You can always just buy Vanguard mutual funds icon_smile.gif

BTW - I don't necessarily agree that an actively managed fund or portfolio is bad. Just that most people don't really have time to actively invest and trade.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The most important thing to staying relevant in this industry is working with new technologies. You can do all the schooling and certifications you want, but if you are stagnating in a job working with outdated technology you are going to have a hard time staying with the trends.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of the best ways to stay relevant is having a goal of at lest trying to obtain one certification a year. It's really not much time when you break it out in 12 months. This year my goal is to obtain the CISM and then next year, either get the CISA or the CISSP. We will see. Another thing you can do is trying to at least participate in some of these free webinars. They are everywhere today. Even when I don't have the time, I still try to log on through my phone and listen while I'm working... Kind of like learning through osmosis, except your awake! Try to always make a commitment to these technological events. Even if its just for an hour or two each month. You would be so surprised some new things you would learn by simply exposing yourself to these educational opportunities.