Options

Can someone explain to me what makes a .net Developer?

kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
And what are the differences between a .net developer and a normal programmer?
WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
Courses:
Done!!!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    ".net developer" is pretty ambiguous considering .net is a framework and a lot is entailed by virtue of the openness...Most of the time job postings for this will further specify what they are asking for, like the language (C#, vb.net, etc) and stack (asp.net, winforms, etc).
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to expand a little more about what lsud00d said...

.NET is a software development framework and platform from Microsoft. The predominate programming language used on .NET is C# and VB.Net. A .NET developer is basically someone that develops software using that framework - See here for a description - .NET Framework

A competing framework would be the J2EE framework by Oracle. The language used is Java. You can find more information here - Java EE at a Glance

There is no such thing as a normal software developer icon_smile.gif Developers can specialize with different platforms and different layers of the application stack. A .NET developer usually develops end-user or business processing applications.
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys!
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Like others have said, in my experience also the .net programmer we had in my old company his languages were C# and Java.
    meh
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul gave a very good explanation. I would go a step further and say that ".NET programmer" is nearing synonymity with "Windows programmer." If you learn any of Microsoft's IDEs and languages, you'll be learning .NET alongside them. Even serious PowerShell programming often utilizes .NET.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    also the .net programmer we had in my old company his languages were C# and Java.
    I don't believe that there is a Microsoft .NET language that is actually Java. If my recollection is correct, there was a Microsoft .NET language called J# which used the Java syntax but I thought Microsoft discontinued J#.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wikipedia confirms. I've actually used Java far more that C#, but I can see why they dropped J++ and J#. There's really no need for J#. If you need to use Java, you need to use actual Java. If you're just more familiar with Java syntax, you ought to be able to adapt to C# easily enough.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340