Options

nstissi 4011 and 4012 useful/useless?

Would like input from those who knows about these two certifications? Are they useful? If so, how? Should you list on your resume?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    I never heard of them. So they are not known to the HR people. Useless.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    crashdump wrote: »
    I never heard of them. So they are not known to the HR people. Useless.

Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make it useless. These NSA recognitions are given to individuals who complete certain IT certifications like CCNA Security. Below is some info I found...more on the NSA site

Got this straight off of the CISCO site

CNSS 4011 Recognition

The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS) recognizes that Cisco CCNA Security certification courseware meets the CNSS 4011 training standard. By being compliant, the Cisco CCNA Security certification program provides the required training for network security professionals who assist federal agencies and private sector entities to protect their information and aid in the defense of the nation's vital information resources.
    This standard is intended for Information Security professionals responsible in identifying system vulnerabilities, investigating and documenting system security technologies and policies, and analyzing and evaluating system security technologies.
    This formal NSA and CNSS certification gives Cisco the authority to recognize those candidates who have demonstrated that they have met the CNSS 4011 training standard.
    Candidates who have met the standard will be issued a letter of recognition acknowledging their completion of the recommended training requirements. This letter of recognition can be used as confirmation of having met the CNSS 4011 requirements.

Whether to list these or not, I know of INFOSEC guys who list them on the
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    More info found

Instructions
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Just because you haven't heard of them doesn't make it useless. These NSA recognitions are given to individuals who complete certain IT certifications like CCNA Security.

I chimed in but you already beat me to it. Sad part is people like crashdump show how clueless HR people can be.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    So I guess I should list them.
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GarudaMin wrote: »
    So I guess I should list them.
    Thanks all.

If you are going for a security related job then I would definitely list them.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have completed requirements for CNSS 4011,4012,4013 as part of my degree courseware, but I'm not sure how to list them on Resumes/ applications

Edit: Whatever that link above went to is gone. Here is a newer one that goes to a page that has 4011,4012,4013,4014,4015,4016 and a whole host of other ones (FYI it says Https: but apparently the government tried to issue their own cert instead of getting one proper expect a security certificate error. maybe not if you're accessing from a gov't computer though) https://www.cnss.gov/CNSS/issuances/Instructions.cfm
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you PsychoData91, for sharing the link for the CNSS issuances. +rep I was wondering what they stood for and why certain colleges had different NSA IA Courseware Institutions listings. It is a great credible way to analyze the college offerings for me. Do you gain some sort of certification for these to show them off on your resume.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Doyen, If you check out each of the issuances, they each stand for a different courseware training. Unless your school actually offers a certificate for it (My college offers a certificate they call CNSS Courseware Certification), it is just something saying you have been taught that. More equivalent to saying you've been through Cisco networking classes than saying you have a CCNA. I included a brief list of the training standards in that area. You can search for more too. These standards mean that the class or course covers the topics mentioned in the listed standards (IE 4011,4013, ...)

4011 - Information Systems Security (INFOSEC) Professionals
    4012 - Senior Systems Managers
    4013 - System Administrators (SA)4014 - Information Systems Security Officers
    4015 - Systems Certifiers
    4016 - Risk Analysts
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received certificates for my mine, and you can certainly include on your resume. I don't think they're a real big deal most of the time, but I have government employed friends who were required to have them.