Options

Carnegie Mellon MSIT - Information Security & Assurance: One degree to rule them all?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
Some might know from previous postings I am wanting to to do an MSIA and then down the road do my MBA, which would be done at my soon to be alma mater UF. This thread isn't to discuss why I need/don't need or should/shouldn't do both. I have my reasons and if I go that route then that's what I want to do.

Rather I want to get thoughts on the Carnegie Mellon MSIT in Information Security & Assurance. This program costs more than my MSIA/MBA if I go the route of WGU/UF or the same if I went Norwich/UF, which are the two options I'm looking at (also considering (DSU/UF). Im thinking that with the prestige of CMU and the fact that the degree itself incorporates security from a management standpoint, that it would negate the need to have both an MSIA/MBA. But I wanted to get peoples opinions on that.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I, for one, would much rather get the CMU degree than an MBA and MSIA.

I think employers would respect the CMU degree alone as much the MBA/MSIA combo, if not more. That's my gut reaction, though, based on how I feel about it. As far as the cost comparison, I would assume it's faster/less work to get the CMU MS than getting MBA + MSIA, so that cost has to be considered.

However, I personally can't justify getting the CMU MS or two master's degrees without someone else paying for it. That's a lot of money either way for what I would consider excessive credentials for the vast majority of positions one could consider. There are other reputable master's programs out there that focus on IA/IS management, so it might be worth shopping around. I can't recall off-hand, but I remember running into several that were still more reputable than WGU (of course much more expensive), but less expensive than CMU.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    That's pretty much my thoughts on it ptilsen. I think the name and prestige of CMU would make it so I don't have to think about the MBA. And yes the time factor is very real. The thing is right now finishing up my BS in Business at UF I really don't have the stomach for more business just yet plus with the way UF's MBA is I would have to dedicate more time to it than I care to at this point. Now InfoSec stuff I can study here and there and don't mind doing that stuff. I just want to focus on my family and don't feel like doing the rigor of UF's MBA so I was going to do something InfoSec related now and then do the MBA in about 3 to 4 years. With the CMU degree according to their site I could do it in 2 years by doing two classes a semester. So I'd be about 2 years and done period if I went that route. As for cost, I can offset up to 20% of the cost of the CMU degree with tuition reimbursement and scholarships. Still expensive but I think what it would do for my career should make it worthwhile.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I'm looking at the CMU degree too (as well as a few others - you should check out the sticky with the B&M Schools Offering Online Programs), my problem is that I already have a pretty full schedule with work, certs, family, etc... and don't really want to add the load of studying for the GRE/GMAT. So, while I'm considering CMU to be my first choice, if I can find another elite school for my graduate studies that doesn't require the GRE (Johns Hopkins is one, but they require 1 year of recent calculus... and it's been almost a decade for me) then I might just go that route.

Also... before you apply for the CMU program, make sure you meet the professional experience requirement. I think they require at least 3 years, but most people accepted to the program have more than 5.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Hi dmoore44, I have seen your posts about CMU and the B&M schools thread. Let me know if/when you apply to CMU. I'm still on the fence with what direction to take. I may work on the GRE this summer but like you, I have work, family and studying for certs already on my plate. I am heavily considering the Norwich University MSIA. I've been doing a ton of research on it and it looks top notch. I love the way the program is set up and the case study aspect. Plus my employer is a partner and I think the case study approach would be extremely beneficial to my career there. But the CMU program is a step up and would also be a tremendous boost to my resume and career. I have over 8 years of IT experience and 6 years of InfoSec experience so I think either way adding a high quality MSIA to my resume would be huge.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    you can't go wrong with the CMU degree, but if you're willing to pay that much then do it full time. They have like 90+% employment for their grads. The degree will take you very far, and it will open many doors. It's a worthwhile investment.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    you can't go wrong with the CMU degree, but if you're willing to pay that much then do it full time. They have like 90+% employment for their grads. The degree will take you very far, and it will open many doors. It's a worthwhile investment.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the part-time distance learning?
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    mmm, not that I know of besides the usual difference between traditional full time vs. distance learning. In full time you get advantage of networking opportunities plus the seminars and people who give speeches/lectures from different companies. I think you will have access to on-campus recruitment though.

I was seriously considering enrolling in this program full time, but some personal circumstances prevented me. Personally, If I'm going to pay this much, then I'd do it full it. It's arguably of the best (if not the best program) out there.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    ...Let me know if/when you apply to CMU...

Talk about thread resurrection... Well, I applied and was accepted! I start classes on August 31st. If anyone is interested, I'll try (no promises) to provide updates and thoughts.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Cloud34Cloud34 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi dmoore44, I am planning to apply for the CMU MSIT - ISA degree.

I have 11 years of experience but not in the security domain. It is in java & cloud based CRM platforms. But I want to change my career track & move to security side. Due to other commitments I was not able to spend time for GRE preparation & got 153(Verbal) & 158(Quant). Do you think I have a chance to apply to CMU or it is completely out of reach? Other universities I am considering are Washington - Bothell & John Hopkins.

Also it would be very helpful if you can share your valuable experience of the CMU MSIT - ISA program.
    Please tell how much freedom is given for choosing the electives from other programs / schools? Also are topics such as reverse engineering, IOT/Cloud/Mobile security, embedded systems, vehicular networks, cyber physical systems etc. are covered under this program or under other schools/programs & can be chosen as electives.

Please share your thoughts as it would be very helpful for me in making a major career decision. Thanks a ton for you insightful posts.