Options

Switching Career Paths and starting an MS program.. advice

michaelp12michaelp12 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I'm here for a little bit of advice. I'm currently a Technical Recruiter based out of Washington DC, where I've worked since graduating from college with a Business Administration degree in May of 2012. However, after working in the technical staffing industry for the past 10 months, I've found the IT industry to be something I am extremely interested in. I've always had an interest in technology, starting a few different websites during college and selling them for a few thousand here and there, but I never understood the scope or capacity of the information technology world until I started to staff the positions themselves.

My new found interest in IT led me to apply and gain acceptance to a Masters of Information Systems program with Northwestern University, which I will be starting next week. I'll likely be taking one class per semester while working full-time as a Technical Recruiter, to attempt to gain knowledge and further my understanding (while continuing to pay my bills!).

My question to you would be... How do you recommend I best go about eventually getting into the IT industry from my current profession? There are a few career paths that definitely seem appealing to me, mostly on the server or networking administration/engineering side or information security. My best guess to go about eventually getting into that field would be to continue my Masters education and self-study/complete the necessary certifications, Network+, Security+, various MCITP's.

If you have any thoughts on making a successful career transition, please let me know. I'd certainly be curious to hear, thank you.

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Career switcher here. I left education to come into IT, so I've had a similar perspective to yours. Here's a few things you'll want to keep in mind:

1) Experience trumps all. It doesnt matter how many certs you have or if you have a Master or bachelor's in IT. Experience is king. Dont get me wrong, certs and IT degrees will certainly help but dont equate to good paying jobs on their own. The sooner you can get an IT job, the better off you'll be. I actually think you'll have a harder time finding an entry-level IT job with a Master's and no experience. Get the experience as soon as you can!

2) Set realistic perceptions. Just because you have a master's it does not mean you'll be jumping into a $60k+ job without first taking the necessary steps. You'll need to start at the bottom, just like every other field. This will most likely mean taking a pay cut. I know with family/financial obligations this may be difficult, but keep in mind that this is probably likely to happen. Entry-level Help desk/desktop support jobs generally dont pay more than $35k - $45k in the DC area.

3) There is no magical way to move from your current profession into IT. Getting certs may help this (or at least move your resume through HR). At some point you'll need to write-up your resume and send it out, praying someone gives you a shot. You're fortunate being in the DC area, IT jobs are abundant up here.

4) Figure out what you want to do in IT. IT is a very broad field, figure out what interests you and go with it. Studying for general certs like A+ and Network+ will expose you to some of different things. Honestly, getting IT experience will also greatly help you figure out what you like and dislike. I find that knowing what I want to do in IT helps me focus on progressing my career as well as keeping my motivation up.

5) Dont get discouraged. Career switching is tough but doable. Lowering your expectations to realistic perspectives will help keep your eye on the prize. Its been nearly a year since I made the switch. A year ago I was a high school teacher and was able to land a desktop support role (entry level). I quickly proved myself and moved up to a Systems Administrator, learned a ton and figured out what I liked and disliked about IT. Now I'm a Jr. Network Engineer, monitoring/mantaining a large enterprise network for several thousand users.

Keep your eye on the prize and never stop moving forward! Good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I'll echo what ChickenNuggetz has said - experience is paramount. Especially if you want to move in to one of the more niche IT disciplines. There are multiple paths you can choose within IT - systems administration, network administration, DB administration, programming, web stuff, etc... So it will probably be best for you to identify what interests you and then focus your efforts (studying, job, etc...) on getting experience that coincides with that interest. Since you're in the DC Metro area, go to meetup.com and start looking around for meetups that match your interests in IT. There are meetups that cover every facet of IT here, from big data to the latest in INFOSEC. Those meetups will help to get you engaged in the IT community.

Also, to kind of side track... I had a few questions of my own about your masters program...

1. What made you choose that program? I'm not overly familiar with Northwestern, so it's a point of curiosity for me.
    2. What did your resume look like when you applied?
    3. Did you take the GRE? I'm currently studying for a few certs and don't really have the time to add the GRE on top of the load I already have... So I'm looking for a program that isn't going to require it, but also be from a university that's going to challenge me...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    michaelp12michaelp12 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I'll echo what ChickenNuggetz has said - experience is paramount. Especially if you want to move in to one of the more niche IT disciplines. There are multiple paths you can choose within IT - systems administration, network administration, DB administration, programming, web stuff, etc... So it will probably be best for you to identify what interests you and then focus your efforts (studying, job, etc...) on getting experience that coincides with that interest. Since you're in the DC Metro area, go to meetup.com and start looking around for meetups that match your interests in IT. There are meetups that cover every facet of IT here, from big data to the latest in INFOSEC. Those meetups will help to get you engaged in the IT community.

Also, to kind of side track... I had a few questions of my own about your masters program...

1. What made you choose that program? I'm not overly familiar with Northwestern, so it's a point of curiosity for me.
    2. What did your resume look like when you applied?
    3. Did you take the GRE? I'm currently studying for a few certs and don't really have the time to add the GRE on top of the load I already have... So I'm looking for a program that isn't going to require it, but also be from a university that's going to challenge me...

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the response. It's definitely something I'll adhere to. I figure that I should begin the basic courses with Northwestern and possibly chose a specialty following that. The basic courses are Telecommunications Network Systems, Object-Oriented Development and Database Systems Design and Implementation.. So I figure that after taking those three classes, it'll give me a decent idea of what type of IT specializations I might be interested in pursuing..

As far as your specific questions on the program..

1. I chose Northwestern University's program because it can be done in-person and/or online. I'm going to perform the MSIS program online, however the degree doesn't differ in anyway from going to receive it in person which was appealing to me. Also, Northwestern University carries a good bit of prestige that I feel would look very impressive on any resume.
    2. My resume isn't too advanced technically speaking. I have a BS degree in Marketing and 1 year of experience in IT staffing, athough I had some entrepreneurial ventures during college they seemed to be impressed with. I had a 30-minute phone conversation with a counselor specific to the MSIS program and he explained what they were looking for and my chances of receiving admission which was helpful as well.
    3. And no, I didn't have to take the GRE. As long as you had above a 3.0 GPA with your bachelors, they waive the GRE testing. That was key for me as well, because I wasn't too interested in studying for the GRE while working full-time.

Thanks and keep the responses coming guys!
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Question isn't the MIS more of a management than technical degree? Seems like a good fit considering your Bachelor's just may lead to a different set of jobs?
  • Options
    PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    Hello!

I would recommend doing your A+ and doing building some VM's to help in the basic troubleshooting. After your A+ then go for someing like Windows 8 cert to help you along the way.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    PCSPreston wrote: »
    Hello!

I would recommend doing your A+ and doing building some VM's to help in the basic troubleshooting. After your A+ then go for someing like Windows 8 cert to help you along the way.

Except no one is going to care about Windows 8 ;)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chalk another one up on experience.

I like your idea of a masters in information technology or something revolving around IT. If you could stomach a masters in computer science that would be outstanding IMO.