Options

Looking for my first job in IT

TheOxTheOx Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently got my first IT certificate (A+). Now I'm going to see if it can help me get my foot in the door. Unfortunately I haven't had to look for a job in a little over five years. So my job hunting skills are a little rusty. Can someone look at my resume and tell me if I am headed in the right direction?

Theox Resume.pdf

Comments

• Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Nothing really stands out and says "call me." Your job/duty descriptions are very vague and general. Dont be afraid to be specific, especially for any technical jobs or positions you've held. For example, simply saying you did laptop/workstation break-fix stuff doesnt tell me, as a prospective employer, why you're any better than the 300 other applicants gunning for the same position. Here's some food for thought:

• List your techinical skills; again dont be vague/general, be specific. Do you have proficiencies in any thing other than Windows OS? Office? AV software, etc? Any skills with any equipment other than Windows workstations? Apple or Linux? Networking devices like routers/switches?
    • What does workstation break/fix actually entail? Simply listing it is too vague and general. What hardware are you familiar with? Ever build a PC from scratch, installed RAM, video card, hard drive, etc?
    • The only technical experience you have is the freelance stuff you did, elaborate on that. Again, what does break/fix entail? Dont be afraid to BE SPECIFIC.
    • Highlight any customer service skills you have. Chances are you'll be gunning for help desk positions; these are very customer service oriented. They'll be more concerned about how well you can communicate vs your technical prowess.
    • Lastly, dont be afraid to talk yourself up (without lying). Ever had a super satisfied customer? What did you do for them that made them so happy? Thinking about things like this will help to highlight customer service skills. Remember you're selling yourself and abilities, make sure you're putting your best foot forward.
      Good luck!
      :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
    • Options
      NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
      What I see--you have an A+, minimal if any IT experience, and some college credits unrelated to IT.

First, if that "self-employed" IT job has any substance, you really need to defend it. How many cases do you handle in a calendar year? What did you really do? Did you make any money--likely not, since it was a side-job.

Second, we don't care about your mailroom experience except as it applies to IT. Spend one line explaining your role, but otherwise only highlight those aspects directly related to IT, customer service, etc.

Third, did any of your college classes teach any useful skills? If so, put those in there instead of your intentions.

Finally, I'd consider re-organizing this resume to highlight your strengths first!
    • Options
      NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
      List your techinical skills; again dont be vague/general, be specific. Do you have proficiencies in any thing other than Windows OS?

Yeah. I'm not even sure what "Operating Systems: Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000 Workstation" means. Does that mean he knows that programs are located under the start button and can browse the Internet or read e-mail on any of those? If so, most Americans can do that and the line is nearly meaningless. If more was intended, that was not conveyed.