Signed a new contract today!

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Dear all,

I would like to share the good news with you: Today I signed a new contract! :)

With the new role I will be moving from Senior Sysadmin to Sales Engineer. While I currently manage stuff like CentOS / RedHat servers, Cisco Switches and Load Balancers I will now be supporting Software Sales throughout the german speaking countries in Europe. I will present the software, show why you should buy it, answer questions and implement it.

As every new role this one has its pros and cons. A huge pro is that it is working from home when I am not on the road. The con (maybe) is that it involves a lot of traveling (2-3 days a week). While I enjoy traveling in my free time I am not yet sure if I will enjoy business travel.

Last but not least, there is a huge raise coming with this position which will allow me to join TE's six figure club ;)

I will be starting the new job in late May and hand in the resignation for my current job tomorrow. There is a four week gap between the two jobs which will allow me to tie up lose ends, get some rest and start out fresh at the new job. I am a little sad to quit on such short notice but I can't change this right now. My boss probably does not see it coming and I hate to (maybe) ruin his long eater holiday but that's how it is.

I want to thank everybody on this forum. When I joined this place back in 2005 I never would have imagined where I would be today. Back then I was unemployed with no diploma or anything. Today I still don't have a diploma but a bunch of certs and a great new job. I would like to close with a famous quote: "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

Cheers,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Keep on trucking.. and I hope you enjoy the little break inbetween gigs!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is amazing! I have always thought that pre sales and sales is the best freaking job. This particular thread gets me excited! Nice work. My friend who's resume I wrote just was offered and software sales engineer position , 100% remote for 140000K
  • jason_miller13jason_miller13 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!! Enjoy your break between jobs.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Beer is on you! Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Congratulations Lordy, I'm very happy for you! you are a true Unix Guru and you deserve it! I hope you enjoy your new role :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    That is awesome Lordy! The engineers I've worked with in presales have always been very sharp, so I can only expect you to excel in that role.

Business travel is pretty cool. I always look at it as an adventure, no matter if it's in the middle of nowhere or spending a week in Hawaii. That said, try to maintain your interests when traveling - companies will try have you traveling the red-eye to a site, spend the day working, and red-eye back, only to come into the office the next day. So, make sure you set boundaries for your sanity.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you, onesaint!

I think it will be a nice change of pace to travel a little after being at the same desk for almost four years. Before signing the deal we have agreed that I can travel the afternoon/evening before a meeting, sleep at a local hotel, and then go to the customer. I would not want to get a train at 5am to make a meeting at 9am somewhere. When I am not on the road I will be working from home so coming to the office will never be a problem :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Awesome. Telecommuting is always good. Plus you're traveling in Central Europe. One couldn't ask for a more lovely place to travel through. I hope the position works out well!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Congratz Man,Enjoy your new gig.......