Options

got my first IT job. what next?

SJCSJC Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Great news, I got my first IT job. It is just entry level, doing tech support and troubleshooting for a small ISP. This is a big step for me because I just changed careers.

Obviously my first step is to do great at my new job. I thought I'd see if anyone has some input on what my next steps should be to keep moving forward with my career.

Would it be more beneficial to get a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or another degree like that) or to focus on certifications? Keep in mind I already have a Bachelor's degree in Music (former career) and part of a Master's in Music.

I haven't really decided on any particular specialization in IT. It seems like my current company promotes from within, so my thinking is if I can identify areas of business need and certify quickly I can make lateral and upward moves more quickly than I could by going back to school.

The current openings for network engineers are way above my had, requiring CCNA, tech degree, or 3+ years experience. . I'm thinking I'll start by being excellent at my job, taking on additional responsibilities in order to get a team lead position, then perhaps if the spot opens up, a tech support supervisor position. Meanwhile I can study towards A+, Security+ Network+ . I'll have time between calls to read and study, which is great!

Any input?

Thanks guys!
Steven

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    first, HUGE congrats! I always tell people the first job is the hardest one to land. It gets easier after that. So what's next?

-Work hard.
    -Don't stop learning no matter what. Pass an exam? Start on your next one. At least for a while till you're more established.
    -After you're established, learn some more.
    -Move up to more responsibility as much as you can, but recognize when other (better) opportunties come your way.
    -Pick someone who's damn good at their job, and emulate them!

Finally- do NOT think a job is above you! Why is it above you? Because those people know more? Well, information is free..that's where the learning comes into play! Also, you'll learn in IT experience requirements (3+ yrs, as you mentioned) are generally only guidelines. I never never held a job where I met the minimum required experience level in terms of years. So that being said, shoot to take one of those network positions (if thats the route you decide to go) in 18 months.

Most importantly, have fun and come to enjoy the challenges you receive. One of the best tips I could ever give anyone going into IT is to stay calm at all times (even when things get stressful). It lets you think more logically, and makes you more professional.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I wouldn't worry about going back to school for a CompSci degree...from my experience they are programming-oriented which unless you want to be a programmer, don't bother. In addition, there is a plethora of free information even if you wanted to become a programmer, so a second undergrad degree is not required.

My bachelors is totally unrelated to IT--in fact I didn't take one computer course in undergrad, but here I am 5 years later a linux/windows sys admin. The degree is more of a checkbox for a lot of jobs.

Some people might recommend pursuing a masters in IT but for where you are at I would definitely recommend to cert up and get as much experience as possible.

Note regarding possessing an unrelated degree: always spin it in your favor. I'm not sure of your concentration in music, but as a musician myself I know it involves a lot of multitasking, critical thinking, and always being on your toes. There's varying degrees of advanced thought processing that go into it and things like this are what turn your potential negative into a positive in the interview process.
  • Options
    MAPLMAPL Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! First IT job with no certificates and real experience? What a start!

Just make sure you work hard and soak everything in. In your situation, I wouldn't even bother with the A+ unless you'd like to solidify your hardware knowledge. A+ is normally acquired by someone who is trying to break into IT. I would start with Network+, Security+, then go from there depending on which concentration you find interest you.
  • Options
    SJCSJC Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, thanks to everyone for the supportive and helpful responses! :D

I've heard more than once now to maybe skip the A+. I've already paid for the exam vouchers though. I don't think I can change it to Network +

However now that I'm leaving best buy (where my department was chronically understaffed and under poor management,) I am at a place where I can study at times during the day and come home with some energy still. You guys have me thinking maybe I should aim to take my Network + SOONER after the A+ rather than later. icon_study.gif

Thanks,
    Steven
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    My first network gig was working in the NOC for an ISP, study what you are going to be doing first, then start studying for your CCNA, unless they use a different vendor, then I would recommend studying that.

When things go wrong, stay late after work and spend time with the engineers, listen, watch and absorb, you will be amazed at how much you will learn that way.