IPPhone Reset button not working

sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I have 7940 Cisco IPPone,I upgrade it to Version5,now i want to upgrade it to Version8 but i couldn't factory reset it anymore!

This is what i do:
1 - I Unplug the power cable from the phone, and then plug in the cable again.The phone begins its power up cycle.

2 - I Immediately press and hold # and while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash in sequence,I release #.
but the phone does not wait for me to enter the key sequence(123456789*0#) for the reset.

after fist lights of Headphone, Mute and Speaker nothing happened and phone goes to VLAN Configuration and phones up

I could not see this message on the phone: "Reset key sequence detected"

Does anybody know what is the problem?
Or is there any other way to Reset the phone to the factory default? (because i want to upgrade it to version8 )

Thanks in advance icon_wink.gif

Comments

• bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Hold in the # key longer once you give it power.
  • sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bobfromfpl :

I did many times its not working...

I upgrade my 7940 Boot Load to
    P00305000500
    with tftp server running on laptop, now i want to upgrade it to
    P00308000400
    to get it work with my CME 4.1.0.2 but I couldn't...

I'm getting these two new errors from my TFTP server and I don't understand them and I did search a lot on the web:
    Completed, file name C:\tftp\NewFolder\XMLDefault.cnf.xml
    Transmission failed.Could not find file C:\tftp\NewFolder\0S79XX.TXT
    Transmission failed.Could not find file C:\tftp\NewFolder\SEP000AF4D53C53.cnf.xml

Does any one know what should i do?

I have these files in my directory for upgrading:
    P00308000400.bin
    P00308000400.loads
    P00308000400.sb2
    P00308000400.sbn
    XMLDefault.cnf.xml

Should i add anything more in this directory like 0S79XX.TXT and SEP000AF4D53C53.cnf.xml ?

Thanks For Helping icon_wink.gif
  • klampkinklampkin Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sattar :

Did you follow the steps below? If you did, you may try to to delete the CTL file (Settings > Security Configuration > CTL File) Press **# to unlock, then select erase. After you have done that try to follow the factory reset steps below.

[h=2]Reset the 7940 and 7960 IP Phones to the Factory Default[/h] In order to perform a factory reset of a phone if the password is set, complete these steps:
    1. Unplug the power cable from the phone, and then plug in the cable again.
      The phone begins its power up cycle.
    2. Immediately press and hold # and while the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash in sequence, release #.
      The Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons flash in sequence in order to indicate that the phone waits for you to enter the key sequence for the reset.
    3. Press 123456789*0# within 60 seconds after the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons begin to flash.
      If you repeat a key within the sequence, for example, if you press 1223456789*0#, the sequence is still accepted and the phone resets.
      If you do not complete this key sequence or do not press any keys, after 60 seconds, the Headset, Mute, and Speaker buttons no longer flash, and the phone continues with its normal startup process. The phone does not reset.

If you enter an invalid key sequence, the buttons no longer flash, and the phone continues with its normal startup process. The phone does not reset.
      If you enter this key sequence correctly, the phone displays this prompt:

Keep network cfg? 1 = yes 2 = no
    4. In order to maintain the current network configuration settings for the phone when the phone resets, press 1. In order to reset the network configuration settings when the phone resets, press 2.
      If you press another key or do not respond to this prompt within 60 seconds, the phone continues with its normal startup process and does not reset. Otherwise, the phone goes through the factory reset process.

Ref Link: Reset 7900 Series IP Phones if Password is Set  [Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series] - Cisco Systems

~klampkin
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellyelampkin (Please connect :D)
    Satar,

It seems your problem is not with factory resetting the phone but getting it to recognize the TFTP file..

Under telephony-service have you tried creating your cnf-files again?
    klampkin:

Thanks for helping,
    Yes i did it many many times.
    I don't have this path on my phoneicon_rolleyes.gif" Settings > Security Configuration > CTL File "
    When i press setting on my phone i only have:

1 - Contrast
    2 - Ring Type
    3 - Network Configuration
    4 - Model info
    5 - Status

What i did is this:
    First i went to: network configuration > erase configuration > **# > yes > save
    and second i pressed: more > factory > save

And all the config erased but still couldn't hard reset it with # button and 123456789*0 , it doesn't show me the "Reset key sequence detected" on the phone and it goes straight to VLAN Configuration and phones up...

Now i want to upgrade the phone and I'm getting these errors from TFTP server and I don't know where can i find these two files to put into the firmware directory icon_scratch.gif
    bobfromfpl:

Thanks for helping

Yes,it doesn't work crash.gif

The only thing is its registering with CUCM but i want to upload this firmware "P00308000400" so I could get it to work with my CME 4.1...
    sattar wrote: »
    klampkin:

Thanks for helping,
    Yes i did it many many times.
    I don't have this path on my phoneicon_rolleyes.gif" Settings > Security Configuration > CTL File "
    When i press setting on my phone i only have:

1 - Contrast
    2 - Ring Type
    3 - Network Configuration
    4 - Model info
    5 - Status

sattar:

Hit the down arrow and you will see 6- Security Configuration, then follow the steps for erasing the CTL file
    Klampkin:

I don't have it!
    Here is a screen shot of my menu,Status is my last option icon_rolleyes.gif

sattar wrote: »
    bobfromfpl:

Thanks for helping

Yes,it doesn't work crash.gif

The only thing is its registering with CUCM but i want to upload this firmware "P00308000400" so I could get it to work with my CME 4.1...

Hi sattar,

So correct me if im wrong, this phone is registering with the CUCM server but instead you want it to register with the CME,? Have you tried uploading the firmware to the CME router and using that as the TFTP?

Could you paste your running configuration here for us to see, maybe it'll help us understand better
    So when you push the down arrow button what happens? It seem strange that you don't have it there.
    I took a screen shot of my 7960, which is similar to 7940

Also according to Cisco :

You can control whether a phone has access to the Settings menu or to options on this menu by using the
    Settings Access field in the Cisco Unified
    Communications Manager Administration Phone

Configuration window. The Settings
    Access field accepts these values:

Enabled
    —Allows access to the Settings menu.

Disabled
    —Prevents access to the Settings menu. Also prevents handset, speaker, and headset from
    being saved (but they can be changed temporarily).

Restricted
    —Prevents access to all options in the Set
    tings menu except Contrast and Ring Type.
    Allows volume changes to be saved.
    If you cannot access an option on the Settings me
    nu, check the Settings Access field. For more
    information, see Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide

ref: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/7_0/sccp/english/administration/guide/60adminsccp.pdf

Thank you Klampkin and bobfrompfl...

Finally I solved the problem!!!:D

I uploaded all the needed firmware into flash of CME and registered it via CME Router and it worked for me...

Now that security configuration appear on my phone screen :)

It feels great when your phones ring! lol