Options

Career Change... Need Advice

Knowledge82Knowledge82 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok im 31 and making 40k a year at a dead end job right now. I've been interested in doing IT work for a long time now. Right now I kind of got my mind made up on pursuing a Associate's degree in Information Security at a local community college then transferring to a 4 year university and getting my Bachelor's. I was thinking of working full-time at the job that I am at now and going to school at night while also obtaining some certs. I also have a mortgage to pay so I don't want to take too much of a pay cut. What advice would you give me and what is the best way for me to get into the IT field? I have no experience right now and Im not sure that I'm disciplined enough for me to study at home for the different certs. So I'm thinking going to school might be the best way to go.

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, IT is a huge field.

Saying you want to get into IT is a little bit like saying you want to get into Science. Have you thought about what technologies and environments interest you? Do you have people skills? Do you like programming?

I think you should write a little more about what you have already done with IT (everything counts) and what you liked or disliked about it. I think that would allow people on the forum to get an idea what type of person you are and what way might suit you.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and best of luck in your career change!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Assuming you want to get in to System/Network Admin work I would recommend a part like this:

Study for Certifications at night. Get a Windows Desktop and Windows Server Certification or a CCNA.
    Do lots of labbing so you can answer troubleshooting type questions on your technical interview.
    Start applying for helpdesk type roles or Jr Sys Admin. 40k isn't a huge stretch for entry level in DC.
    Get a BS while working, I personally am a huge fan of WGU for this.

I don't think the school first approach is the most efficient way to enter IT. Most IT/Comp Sci degrees do not teach the information you need to work in the field on a day to day basis, they mainly focus on higher level stuff.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Assuming you want to get in to System/Network Admin work I would recommend a part like this:

Study for Certifications at night. Get a Windows Desktop and Windows Server Certification or a CCNA.
    Do lots of labbing so you can answer troubleshooting type questions on your technical interview.
    Start applying for helpdesk type roles or Jr Sys Admin. 40k isn't a huge stretch for entry level in DC.
    Get a BS while working, I personally am a huge fan of WGU for this.

I don't think the school first approach is the most efficient way to enter IT. Most IT/Comp Sci degrees do not teach the information you need to work in the field on a day to day basis, they mainly focus on higher level stuff.

Ok but will employers respect WGU?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok but will employers respect WGU?

In IT, yes, they will.

I also echo lordy's point. If you offer a bit more information about your interest in IT. We can probably offer a bit more info.
  • Options
    Well Im actually trying to get into the system/network admin / security field
  • Options
    There are definitely a few career changers in this forum. I'm sure that they will chime in.

I do think that your best bet is MiikeB's advice if you aren't really sure which area of IT you want to go in. If you have some technical aptitude, starting with a one of the MS certs will probably be more practical since you can probably lab those if you already have a computer. If you don't know much about IT, you could also start with the Comptia A+ and Network+.

If you already have a degree of some sort, I do tend to agree that going the school first route isn't going to be useful. And if you are looking for 40K in IT - that shouldn't be too far a stretch in the DC area for entry-level.

BTW - I see that you joined TE a few year's ago and you asked about taking some certs - did you ever start on those certificates.
  • Options
    No I never started working on any of those certs because I was trying to decide if I really wanted to be in the IT field. I ultimately decided to stay at the job that I am at now because I was making pretty decent money, but I now know that I am at a dead end job because there is no opportunity for growth and I haven't received a raise in 5 years. Only reason I was thinking of going to school first was to get more hands on experience and I'm not sure if I'm disciplined enough to study at home on my own.
    So do you think just having certs alone is enough to get me in the door without taking too much of a pay cut?
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It will and since you are new into the IT field I would recommend you start with your A+, Network+, and Security+. I also recommend you finish up your college to maximize your pay.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask us questions....we are here to help icon_wink.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Like webgeek said - the certs can definitely help you get your foot in. The expense of college may not be worth it if you already have a degree of some sort. Do you already have a degree of any kind?

If you are not disciplined enough to study at home, try setting a schedule to use the library. One of the most important aspects in retention is hands-on - make sure you have a decent computer to try out labs. One way to motivate yourself is to actually schedule the certification exam - nothing can be more motivating than a looming deadline icon_smile.gif

You mentioned you make about 40k now - you are not likely to take a pay cut even with an entry-level job in the DC area.

If you search this forum, you will see that there are plenty of other recent career changers who are much older than you when they changed their careers.

The most important thing is to just start. We are all here to lend support - don't be shy.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Like webgeek said - the certs can definitely help you get your foot in. The expense of college may not be worth it if you already have a degree of some sort. Do you already have a degree of any kind?

If you are not disciplined enough to study at home, try setting a schedule to use the library. One of the most important aspects in retention is hands-on - make sure you have a decent computer to try out labs. One way to motivate yourself is to actually schedule the certification exam - nothing can be more motivating than a looming deadline icon_smile.gif

You mentioned you make about 40k now - you are not likely to take a pay cut even with an entry-level job in the DC area.

If you search this forum, you will see that there are plenty of other recent career changers who are much older than you when they changed their careers.

The most important thing is to just start. We are all here to lend support - don't be shy.

No I don't have a degree of any kind.
  • Options
    In that case - you may want to seriously consider WGU. It puts you on the path towards a degree and you will gain the industry certs to get started.

FWIW - I never finished my degree either but that didn't slow me down.
  • Options
    JeyspecJeyspec Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the great advise in this. I'm in a similar situation myself. Im turning 31 in a dead end job and have always had an interest for IT. I actually have an associates in Computer Networking from 2006 which is quite sometime now. I recently gained some part time experience doing consulting and am currently studying for my A+. This thread has def gave me some motivation. Thanks to all and good luck Knowledge82
  • Options
    Welcome Jeyspec. And good luck to you too. Doing the part-time consulting is a great way to get into it.
  • Options
    minitminit Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion you should do the following:

1. Stay where you are at now.
    2. Go back to school while working full time, and earn a 4 year degree.
    3. After the degree is completed start pursuing the career change.

This field is highly competitive. Everyone with a pulse has a cert. A four year degree will help differentiate yourself from those without. Many jobs now mention a four year degree as a requirement. A four year degree in something like Info. Systems will also give you the flexibility to pursue jobs outside of the Server/Network admin. world. Business type roles, or [insert software here] analyst roles.
  • Options
    bump for more advice...
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is the experience from your current job transferrable to the new one? As you're more mature (as opposed to a recent 20ish-year-old graduate), employers may focus more on your skills and experience rather than a degree. Depending on your current job, you may be able to sell yourself using your current skills.

Of course, the certifications may help, as mentioned above. Especially the CompTIA ones - they're useful for those looking to get into the field of IT you mentioned.
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    Nope im in an entirely different field right now.