Options

Finally made the move to Houston, TX

2»

Comments

• Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Your right chaser, if you have the exp, I been looking at just trying to get in and posted for a couple of help desk jobs. I live in Houston area. I wish I had the exp that way I could find a decent job.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    neo9006 wrote: »
    Your right chaser, if you have the exp, I been looking at just trying to get in and posted for a couple of help desk jobs. I live in Houston area. I wish I had the exp that way I could find a decent job.

Check this out: Jobs, Houston Texans, Careers
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DoubleNNs wrote: »
    So I'm curious. I'm contemplating making the move down to TX as well.

A lot of people in this thread recommend Austin and say that it has a booming IT field.

I've considered this myself. Just packing up and moving from Boston, MA down to Austin, TX. I think with the amount of interest people wanting to move down to the Texas area that there's enough roommates to choose from this website. lol
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plenty of IT jobs in Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin and Fort Worth.

Houston has the most energy and healthcare related IT jobs. Dallas and Fort Worth have slightly less in those areas but also a lot in financial and education. San Antonio being a major military hub has a lot of security jobs. Austin being the state capital has a lot of government and education and as a tech incubator has a lot of really cool start-ups.

That said, if you really want a job fast it's Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth by a mile. More jobs. More $$$.

Traffic is just a reality of "big city" life in Texas where no one uses mass transit despite billions being spent by Houston Metro, Dallas Area Rapid Transit, Fort Worth Transit Authority, VIA and Capital Metro.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    In July, I moved from White Plains NY to Houston TX. One of the best decisions i've ever made.
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CIO wrote: »
    In July, I moved from White Plains NY to Houston TX. One of the best decisions i've ever made.

Always glad to see that a move was one of the best decisions a person made. Makes me look forward to moving down to Austin, TX.

My plan is to get my CCNA and CCNA:S by September and then start looking in the Austin area.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here is some truth that you should be aware off that nobody has mentioned about Austin. Expect your salary to be 10-20% lower for the same job in Austin vs Dallas or Houston. The problem in Austin is what I like to call the UT babies, it is the biggest freaking university in North America and let me tell you when the UT babies graduate they do not want to leave, ever. Also Austin is the most expensive city in Texas, a house and a neighborhood that would cost you around $200k in Houston or Dallas will cost you around $350-500k in Austin. Also we have the highest taxes in Texas thanks to all the damn liberal California transplants that moved here during the dot com era. Austin is also only 2nd to Seattle having the most people with at least a Bachelors degree, what this means for you is that the market is over saturated with folks with crazy amount of education that are willing to work for peanuts so they can live in Austin and be hip. This is pretty much a hipster city, where folks like to look hip and spend themselves into oblivion. If you would like a family and retire someday I suggest you do not move here. I am very much aware that it is the fastest growing city in the country but this comes with its share of issues, the rental market here is at about 97% capacity. They cannot build apartments fast enough which means that the cost of rent is going through the roof. Traffic here is a nightmare all you have is I-35 and the Toll road, the city never expanded its infrastructure to keep up with the growth. If you want a job with good pay do yourself a favor and move to either Houston or Dallas you will be happier for it. If you do decide to move to Austin buy a house in either Circle K, Cedar Park, Leander, or Round Rock. The places have the best school districts and you actually get some value for the crazy property taxes which are the highest in the country 2.5-3.7% a year. Either way good luck.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    Here is some truth that you should be aware off that nobody has mentioned about Austin. Expect your salary to be 10-20% lower for the same job in Austin vs Dallas or Houston. The problem in Austin is what I like to call the UT babies, it is the biggest freaking university in North America and let me tell you when the UT babies graduate they do not want to leave, ever. Also Austin is the most expensive city in Texas, a house and a neighborhood that would cost you around $200k in Houston or Dallas will cost you around $350-500k in Austin. Also we have the highest taxes in Texas thanks to all the damn liberal California transplants that moved here during the dot com era. Austin is also only 2nd to Seattle having the most people with at least a Bachelors degree, what this means for you is that the market is over saturated with folks with crazy amount of education that are willing to work for peanuts so they can live in Austin and be hip. This is pretty much a hipster city, where folks like to look hip and spend themselves into oblivion. If you would like a family and retire someday I suggest you do not move here. I am very much aware that it is the fastest growing city in the country but this comes with its share of issues, the rental market here is at about 97% capacity. They cannot build apartments fast enough which means that the cost of rent is going through the roof. Traffic here is a nightmare all you have is I-35 and the Toll road, the city never expanded its infrastructure to keep up with the growth. If you want a job with good pay do yourself a favor and move to either Houston or Dallas you will be happier for it. If you do decide to move to Austin buy a house in either Circle K, Cedar Park, Leander, or Round Rock. The places have the best school districts and you actually get some value for the crazy property taxes which are the highest in the country 2.5-3.7% a year. Either way good luck.

This backs everything I've heard so far as well. That if you were going to move to Austin, then you should have done so years ago, as it's now losing a lot of the "benefits" that once made it more appealing then its surrounding contemporaries. And Dell hasn't helped.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting, I heard that Austin was like that. Also, I got a job as a network administrator today. Finally get to use my CCNA.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting, I heard that Austin was like that. Also, I got a job as a network administrator today. Finally get to use my CCNA.

Hellz Yeah. Grats
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    webgeek wrote: »
    Cali would be nice but taxes meh

Forget taxes. General cost of living is ridiculous, especially in the northern part of the state.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Congrats!!! I knew you'd be fine! You're in an area that's just swimming in IT opportunities. I hope to be in the Atlanta area in a few years, which is strong in IT in its own right.