Options

CompTIA Cert Renewal Requirements.

MegaMacMegaMac Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, guys. Question.

I have some concerns about the renewal process for CompTIA certs. It says on their site that in order to retain your cert "ALL of the following terms are met on or before the CE Program expiration date: Sign/Agree on an annual basis the Continuing Education Program Code of Ethics Policy, Upload all Continuing Education Unit (CEU) requirements associated to the selected program intent level, Pay in full the three year CE Maintenance Fees associated with the selected program intent level."

Does that mean what I think it means, as in, anyone who is [Insert Cert Here] ce, has to meet all three of those requirements annually, or in a three years time? Before I obtained my first cert, I was under the impression that one could either amass enough units OR pay a fee in which to keep your cert(s) active. Or of course, earn another cert, thus renewing all previous certs.

Clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks! =)

Comments

• Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    I'd suggest just doing the Network+ so it renews your A+ certification. As far as I know you don't have to pay a fee if you do it that way.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It goes off your highest cert; CASP > Storage+ > Security+ > Network+ > A+

You pay your annual maintaince fees, not all at once, and insert your continuing education. You have 3 years with no minimum required per year to reach your 3 year amount.

Example: I have Security+, all I need are 50 CE's, I passed CISSP which gives me the required 50 CE's, pay the annual dues

My 2 cents: Depending on the level of cert you have, look at which external cert gives you the required CE's to renew, and achieve that cert within 3 years which IMHO is very generous

Sources:
    CompTIA CE Program: Renewing Through Achieving Other Certifications
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program Activity Chart

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Okay, so basically it gives a choice to pay one year's fee, or a lump sum for three. Take care of that, and then you have the CEUs to worry about. Now, I do intend to get some more certs down the line but what if, for whatever reason, I cannot obtain the necessary CEUs by the time the three years is up? I assume my cert(s) are revoked or suspended?

What worries me is what if after all is said and done, I have no way to amass these CEUs. I mean, only way I'm gaining them now is by attending Messer's study groups. (which I still don't know how to claim, use, or submit the unit I earned =/)
  • Options
    MegaMac wrote: »
    Okay, so basically it gives a choice to pay one year's fee, or a lump sum for three. Take care of that, and then you have the CEUs to worry about. Now, I do intend to get some more certs down the line but what if, for whatever reason, I cannot obtain the necessary CEUs by the time the three years is up? I assume my cert(s) are revoked or suspended?

Correct, your certs will be revoked and you will have to pass the current exams to renew your status.
    What worries me is what if after all is said and done, I have no way to amass these CEUs. I mean, only way I'm gaining them now is by attending Messer's study groups. (which I still don't know how to claim, use, or submit the unit I earned =/)

Are you in college? Are you taking any classes in college? The activity chart I linked above gives details about all the types of items you can do to get CE's. To enter the ones you have obtained, first pay the annual fee, then you can enter the amount of CE's obtained. Always keep records since you could get audited.

If you need further assistance, we can communicate via phone since we are in the same state/time zone but I work nights so my schedule is reversed.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Oh, damn. So they actually revoke them. I was expecting them to be temporarily suspended until you get what you need to get. But having to pay to take the newer, likely harder exams to get the certs back? Gotta say, not lovin' this looming stress.

As for college, I intend to begin WGU sometime this year, maybe within the next couple of months. Even so, say if a person is not in college, and has gotten all the certs he/she wants for the time being, how would a candidate continue to get these needed credits?
  • Options
    how would a candidate continue to get these needed credits?

[Yoda Voice] Read the information provided, Click the link young one you must CompTIA Continuing Education Program Activity Chart
  • Options
    =P Well, yes, I did read. What would help me in the future is surely the work experience method. Definitely looking to get a job in the field somewhere. Would hate to go through all this to not put it to some good use and keep it fresh. The Workshops seem like a great way as well. Unsure about the others.

Though Nytrocide above mentioned to me that once every three years you could go in and take your highest achieved certification and get renewed like that. Seems simple enough. The cost of a cert every three years would certainly be doable. Would it work that way?
  • Options
    Yes, but why would you want to take Network+ every 3 years instead of obtaining a new cert?
  • Options
    NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    After the Network+, then maybe Security+ or CCENT/CCNA. If you're concerned about the renewals that much I guess you could try to stretch it and pass one exam per three years, but at that point you're only limiting your career/life for the sake of a few hundreds dollars and it's not worth it.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Options
    I didn't say I'd stop at Network+. =P I'll probably finish the CompTIA Trinity and some Cisco certs, one maybe two certs a year. After I obtain all the desired certs, I'll be in a comfortable spot hopefully holding a stable position somewhere. You said yourself, Nytro, that if a person already works in the field and knows his stuff, he could easily just walk in and pass their highest exam again when needed to keep his certs in the future. I personally find that easier, and probably quicker.

I could try to get a new cert every three years, but if I already have a handful of certs, I'd want to focus more on career development and live in the now. With that, I could then afford to take more exams down the line and depending on who I work for, they'd pay for 'em. ;)
  • Options
    @ MegaMAC...have you read all the OTHER things you can do to obtain the necessary CE's????? I linked the PDF, if you're in the field then it's very easy to obtain all the CE's for renewal.
  • Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The way I read it, the best way to accomplish this is to just get more certifications. Given that I am at the bottom of the totem pole position, experience and pay wise a lot of those options are out for me. I was looking at the E-Learning $449 for 6 months but I'm better off taking that $449 and putting that towards A+ and Network+ getting me my 50 points.
  • Options
    HushLives wrote: »
    The way I read it, the best way to accomplish this is to just get more certifications. Given that I am at the bottom of the totem pole position, experience and pay wise a lot of those options are out for me. I was looking at the E-Learning $449 for 6 months but I'm better off taking that $449 and putting that towards A+ and Network+ getting me my 50 points.

Since you have Security+, obtaining A+ and/or Network+ will not give you 50 CE. You need to take a cert approved on the list. Please review the above links I have provided.
  • Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Since you have Security+, obtaining A+ and/or Network+ will not give you 50 CE. You need to take a cert approved on the list. Please review the above links I have provided.

Apologies for that, I was reading the PDF wrong.
  • Options
    At this time in my techno-journey, I will try to obtain a new cert at least once every year until I have all I'd want/need at the time. When I start and eventually succeed at WGU, I'd also gain more certs through that. So really don't foresee myself having to do all those workshops or extra classes trying to collect credits anytime soon.

I do have another question, however. I understand you can pay annually, or once every three years, that is if you're not going for another cert. I assume I can't just pay anytime during the three years. It has to be paid in advance to cover the three years from the time renewed, right? Or say, if I paid now, I'd be covered until 2015?