switching careers, hoping to become a Linux/Unix SysAdmin

devzerodevzero Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I hold a business-oriented Bachelor's degree with a specialization in languages. I'm seriously considering switching careers for a number of reasons. I originally thought of becoming a network administrator but what I'm really interested in is more in line with system administration, particularly of Linux/Unix systems.

Since I'm currently employed and have no formal IT background, I was wondering what certifications might be worth pursuing to get a foot in the door? So far I've considered starting off with the RHCSA and CLP, but might a CCNA also be worthwhile? What other certifications might be of use?

Having said that, I realize perfectly well that getting certified on paper doesn't make me a SysAdmin - I do need real-life hands-on experience. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might be able to gain experience so employers will take any certifications I obtain more seriously?

I do have some vague ideas of my own but I'd like to hear from you guys first. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Get certified, you will gain knowledge on your way to the certification, get to know Linux and love it (I recommend using it as your main OS if you can), you can also join few IRC Linux support channels that way you can fix your own problems and help others + gain some more knowledge.
    I always idle in #debian #ubuntu #gentoo #redhat and other vendors channels in mIRC, it's very helpful.
    with the time you will get to that job you're looking for, but you need experience. and time will give you that.
  • devzerodevzero Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi log32, thanks for the reply! I'm already an avid Linux user. I use Fedora exclusively on my laptop these days (also used Arch and openSUSE before) and rely the CLI as much as I possibly can, though I still have plenty left to learn. I'm also running Scientific Linux, Debian and a couple of others using VirtualBox to experiment.
  • CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can't hurt to pursue the Linux+ certification. As for experience, try freelancing or volunteering at non-profit companies in your spare time to get something on your resume.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    Don't want to shatter your dreams but you're long way from being a Linux sys admin. That's not a path you can choose to start with, it's something you switch to after years of commercial experience. I'm in the same boat as you are, trying to brake into the world of network/linux administration only I have a degree in IT if that means anything. What I'm doing is running a free webhosting gig, administering 5 servers trying to get some actual commercial experience albeit on a smaller scale. It does cost money, but it's a fun and educative experience even though I know helpdesk awaits for me after that. You should set yourself a project as well, just playing with Linux at home with no real objective(s) will not do you any good except give you false beliefs about your Linux skills.

System administration is specialization, not a door into IT. Would you hire someone with a CompTIA certificate and no work experience to be responsible for a network of a hundred Linux servers? I wouldn't.

Don't get your hopes up because the fall will be hard, but stay motivated enough to continue pursuing your dreams. If I were you, which I was at one point, I would go for Associate degree and then take the second year off of work and volunteer for a whole year. Suddenly, you don't look so rookie anymore...
    Linuxlover, if I manage to get my RHSCA and/or Linux+ or similar certifications, wouldn't that pave the way for me to find the entry-level helpdesk kind of job? I have a Ba and considering that I live in a multilingual country, it might actually be an advantage to find that type of job. That said, finding some sort of personal project is an idea worth considering, though it's not quite doable for me at this point.

My initial intent was to take a one-year Sys/Network Admin course that would lead to something akin to an Associate's Degree but the system where I live is such that if you already have a degree and work, you have no choice but to rely on evening classes, which means three years of study and then I'd still have to get certified, which is why I'd rather get certified straight away. It also saves me both time and money.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Your best bet might be to find a small company that needs to save money by running Linux on some of its servers but you will also have to manage the Windows side of the department also. That is how my first job started.

It will probably be hard for you to jump right into a pure Linux Systems administration position without any experience and only some certifications. It can probably be done but someone will have to take a chance on you.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
    From what I have experienced, employers don't care about your formal education if you're really good at what you do. On the other hand, if you're not top notch, guess who is getting the job if you're going against someone with a degree in IT? Even if you brake into IT without a degree, you'll need it sooner or later if you want to progress in your career. Don't rush it, enroll now and do it gradually.

I don't know about that course you're talking about so I'll refrain myself from commenting, but as far as helpdesk goes, you're set with much less than RHCSA. Try A+ and 70-685, much easier to accomplish and will benefit you more. Combine that with your German and French (assuming) and you're golden. You can study for your Linux certificates later as you do your unavoidable helpdesk job. As far as I know, there are no Linux helpdesk jobs so RHCSA won't help you much with your first job and it requires a lot of effort to complete, a waste of time in my opinion. Start small and build up to it.

The word of the day is EXPERIENCE. Without experience you're worth less than you paid for your exams. Sad but true, it sucks I know.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    linuxlover wrote: »
    As far as I know, there are no Linux helpdesk jobs...
    I don't know what is or is not existent in Europe; however, in the states we have Linux helpdesk jobs which I notice usually require just Linux+ , in terms of certification.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check and see if there is a Red Hat Academy in your area.
    dbrink wrote: »
    Your best bet might be to find a small company that needs to save money by running Linux on some of its servers but you will also have to manage the Windows side of the department also. That is how my first job started.

Maybe, but from my observations, most small companies over here just don't seem to care about Linux. Take the company where I currently work. They're spending God knows how much much money on MS licenses and rely on an IT firm to solve even minor problems that any IT-minded employee is able to solve...
    Linuxlover, you're probably right about this. I've been thinking about what you and others have said here. It's somewhat discouraging at first, but then again when I think of the type of jobs I can apply for with my current degree, I think I have no choice but to exercise more patience and make sure I have formal IT training if I want to increase my chances of switching careers and eventually becoming a SysAdmin. The fact that I know several languages and have a business-related study background is something I'm sure I can use that to my advantage.

Having said that, is an A+ really necessary in case I'm pursuing a degree or enroll for a Sys/Network Admin training course in which both Linux and Windows Server are taught? Since my ambition is to specialize in Linux, might not Linux+ be worth pursuing?
    Since you're referring to me, I feel like I should reply. Don't get me wrong there, I didn't say Linux+ or RHCSA don't hold any value because the most surely do. My point was that they don't hold much value in your particular situation where you are right now. When you're switching careers, you're starting over as if you're fresh out of school, so you need to take that road.

Realistically speaking, nobody would hire you right now, so what would you do to get started in IT? If you haven't read all the career path threads on here, it goes something like this:

1.Either or a combo of A+/Net+/MCSA:Win7
    2.Helpdesk job + certs
    3.Helpdesk 2nd level + more certs
    4.Helpdesk 3rd level/junior sys admin + high level certs
    5.Sys admin job

There's a progression curve as you can see, you can't just jump over to system administration. What you should do is ask for a transfer to the IT department since you have one in your firm. Doesn't matter what they use as long as it's a system administrator position. It's easier to switch from MS to Linux rather than from BA to IT. If they won't transfer you, you can ask to volunteer and tell them to put "sys admin assistant" on your payroll and on your letter of recommendation. Do that for a year so you have something to put on your resume and perhaps you can skip the helpdesk job and go straight to junior sys admin. In the mean time you get a few certificates and you have something to work with.
    When you're switching careers, you're starting over as if you're fresh out of school, so you need to take that road.

I'd have to agree. I've actually caught myself being too hurried about switching careers and trying to avoid beginning at the bottom.
    There's a progression curve as you can see, you can't just jump over to system administration.

The overview you've provided looks interesting and makes sense. However, what am I to make of non-degree training courses that are being offered as evening classes (and in some cases as 1-year full-time training courses) or Bachelor degrees that offer specialization in system administration?

To tell you the truth, I get the impression that system/network administration is being a bit hyped and that schools are offering courses that give students the impression that you can get a high-paying job as a sysadmin after about one year of study and with no experience/certs whatsoever...

Actually there isn't an IT dept. at the firm I'm working for. I could always try and discuss the fact that I'm interested in and good with computers so I could be put in charge of solving minor IT problems but the way things look now, that will only happen when hell freezes over...
    Have you considered Open University? It's like a European version of WGU, I hear only good things about them. You should check it out.

I'm in the same position as you, sort of, so I know what you're going through. It's not easy, but if you're determined you're going to make it.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle."
    Abraham Lincoln
  • akazeroakazero Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was a FT linux admin on a team of 3 managing ~300 Linux servers. I got into that role after spending 1 year on the help desk.

Your focus now is getting that first help desk job at an organization with an in-house IT team (means there's opportunity for growth - that's key). Network well with others in the IT department and go from there. During my help desk days, I ran my own web server, mail server, and is pretty comfortable with the command line and scripting (comp sci background).
    You should set yourself a project as well, just playing with Linux at home with no real objective(s) will not do you any good except give you false beliefs about your Linux skills.

+1. With any modern distro you are likely using a GUI on a daily basis. Admin is done in 100% CLI. Personally I don't think it's necessary to take ANY course on system administration.