How hard actually is ICND1?

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have my test on 26th April. I have just passed Network+ and have been studying for 2 weeks on ICND1.

My plan is another week and a half on the books then the remaining week and a half pure labbing and maybe CBT nuggets (although I really didnt get on with them in N+).

I feel like I'm maybe hyping this up to be something its not, I realise ICND2 is much harder but having done N+ probably helps too right?

Comments

• krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    I never took the N+ but I recently took ICND1. I'd suggest you dive straight into IOS related stuff and hit it hard. You need to practice configuration/troubleshooting. You also need to make sure you're familiar with show commands. Not sure if subnetting is thoroughly covered on N+ but you'll want to master that too.

As far as ICND 1 vs 2, I'd say 1 is harder. Maybe it's because I came across way less material I could learn by getting my hands dirty, but I found it dry and harder.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't consider the current CCENT that hard, but if you wait to long than the new CCENT will be rough. The Net+ will definitely help you. Don't get up tight about it. Read, practice and you will be fine.

Lab all the practices. Learn your subnetting.
  • pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm scheduling my CCENT today and wondering the same thing. I've heard people say it is very easy, and others say it is very hard. I've taken online practice exams and aced some of them. Then others made me feel like I have no idea what is going on. It seems there is no definite answer. Just put the time in and give it a shot. At least that is what I am doing.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the N+ then CCENT > CCNA route as well and it does help. you are going to need to learn subnetting a little better in order for you to pass the cisco certs but the ISO stuff is pretty much covered in the N+ but still dont skip anything. The CCENT I'd say is a little harder then the N+ and will require you to study a bit to make sure you know the CLI and the networking concepts the N+ doesnt cover in as much detail as the CCENT/CCNA does.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't consider the current CCENT that hard, but if you wait to long than the new CCENT will be rough. The Net+ will definitely help you. Don't get up tight about it. Read, practice and you will be fine.

I wonder why the new CCENT will be harder? I am just starting to look at the CCNA and ordered Todd's CCNA study guide last night. I am kind of unhappy with the way Cisco has approached this exam upgrade. For one I haven't seen a single book or video series for the new material. So for someone like myself my options of getting it done by Sept 30th is going to be harder then just learning the new material. But really if you know the old Material well, how much harder will it be to just supplement the new?
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks All, I have subnetting down good and have no problem with this. Yeah its just all the command line stuff. Its so hard that its all an unknown! I need to get this book finished and squeeze in some videos. I think im pushing it... Im actually gonna have 2 weeks after I finish the study guide so gonna practice loads!
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learning basics of the theory plus basic subnetting would be enough for ICND1. Refer to official guide and understand the concepts.
    Some lab practice on any emulator would also be useful.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
    d6bmg wrote: »
    Learning basics of the theory plus basic subnetting would be enough for ICND1. Refer to official guide and understand the concepts.
    Some lab practice on any emulator would also be useful.

Yeah I have some real Cisco routers at home so gonna go on those, been using packet tracer when reading the study guide. Feeling a bit more reassured now!
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Buy Boson's CCENT practice exam, its very similar to the real thing. It really put me over the top to pass the exam.
    @Yuck: Yup. I'm using it currently gauge my knowledge of the CCNA. Does a great job.
    Buy Boson's CCENT practice exam, its very similar to the real thing. It really put me over the top to pass the exam.

Great shout, just tried the demo. Perfect! Love the detailed explanations too!

Thanks, I have been pretty busy at work and haven't had time to really look for the new material. After listening to Chris Bryant update video about the change I am less worried about the exam change. Chris is pretty clear that this isn't a huge change and lists about 85% of the material will be the same on the new as the old. And it sounds more like the CCNA is going to focus more in IPv6, Security, NTP, and Troubleshooting.

I do not expect the current exam or the new one to be a Cake Walk. That's the reason I am looking at all types of study material. If I get into studying and it clicks faster then I think it will, I may try for the old exam. But judging from others that have already walked this path it looks like it is at least a 6 months journey.

All in all I prefer to learn as much as I can, rather then just pass an exam. Since most of the advanced level Cisco certs calls for a solid understanding of the basics which I attend on getting from studying for the CCNA.

Thanks again for the info
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Not a problem. I would encourage you to try to get it done by Sept. Even if you only get the CCENT done, than the ICND2 should still be a little easier.
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    I wonder why the new CCENT will be harder? I am just starting to look at the CCNA and ordered Todd's CCNA study guide last night. I am kind of unhappy with the way Cisco has approached this exam upgrade. For one I haven't seen a single book or video series for the new material. So for someone like myself my options of getting it done by Sept 30th is going to be harder then just learning the new material. But really if you know the old Material well, how much harder will it be to just supplement the new?

you'll be okay if you stay with your studies and just got one step at a time. Go to lammle.com/forum or email me if you have questions.
    Also, just FYI, I am finishing my new CCENT book and it will be out shortly, but I am also going to creat an "update" document that will be out before Septemember that will help people studying for the current exams, but then end up missing the deadline. This way they'll current studies won't be wasted! They can just get my new update until my new CCNA book comes out around Sept...
    Hope this helps!
    Todd Lammle
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Also, just FYI, I am finishing my new CCENT book and it will be out shortly, but I am also going to creat an "update" document that will be out before Septemember that will help people studying for the current exams, but then end up missing the deadline. This way they'll current studies won't be wasted! They can just get my new update until my new CCNA book comes out around Sept...
    Hope this helps!
    Todd Lammle
    icon_thumright.gif
    you'll be okay if you stay with your studies and just got one step at a time. Go to lammle.com/forum or email me if you have questions.
    Hope this helps!
    Todd Lammle

Thanks Todd, for both the update and the word of encouragement. I have bookmarked your forum for ready access.

Not a problem. I would encourage you to try to get it done by Sept. Even if you only get the CCENT done, than the ICND2 should still be a little easier.

Ok, I am a little confused. Can I take the old CCENT then take the new ICND2???

Ok, I am a little confused. Can I take the old CCENT then take the new ICND2???

Yup. You can mix and match. I know it's confusing. It took me a couple of days to digest all of it.
  • nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the ICND1 to be extremely easy. I never took the N+, but I would think that there is an enormous amount of overlap between N+ and ICND1. ICND1 is almost all general networking theory. ICND2 scared me when I was taking it, but I scheduled the exam for a week after I started studying - something I regretted several almost sleepless nights later.

I would say for ICND1, show commands are more important than any actual configuration. And subnetting. Be able to subnet in your head while half-drunk and mostly asleep. The Odom books are good, but they lean a little toward being overkill on some topics. The boson ex-sim and net-sim are excellent products. CBT has a $99/month subscription now, and trainsignal has a $49/month subscription. Both have good ccna courses. INE is offering their CCNA course for free when you create a free account. I have found INE videos to be information heavy, but very dry.

Good luck!
    Yup. You can mix and match. I know it's confusing. It took me a couple of days to digest all of it.

Thanks, this a big relief from a money stand point. I will shoot to have CCENT done well before the deadline and may gamble on taking the ICND 2 right before the deadline just to see if I can get it done in time.

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    ICND1 is not a big deal but the new one is going to be different. Definitely ICND1 is a lot easier than ICND2.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I will shoot to have CCENT done well before the deadline and may gamble on taking the ICND 2 right before the deadline just to see if I can get it done in time.

Good luck with this! I will not make it, myself.
    Xyro wrote: »
    Good luck with this! I will not make it, myself.

I am still in study mode after coming out of my final class of WGU about three weeks ago. I have been hitting it hard trying to piece together my next step, and CCNA seems like a very logical and fun step. My Supervisor who is currently studying for CCIE has already started getting me more involved with the Networking stuff. I have always been around networking, but never really been a dedicated Network tech. I like that the CCNA is more in-depth and harder to pass, makes it more worth while then a CompTIA exam.

I like that the CCNA is more in-depth and harder to pass, makes it more worth while then a CompTIA exam.
    I like this also since I enjoy the challenge. For the same reason, I will likely end up doing CCNP & CCIE too. icon_lol.gif
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another shout out for Boson's exams, no regrets on spending the money. I have it installed on my tablet, home computer, and work computer.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    DB Cooper wrote: »
    Another shout out for Boson's exams, no regrets on spending the money. I have it installed on my tablet, home computer, and work computer.
    What type of tablet do you have? I'm guessing full Windows OS? Didn't see any iOS or Android apps.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

I see that Amazon is saying May 3. Cisco Press had been saying April 19, but I just checked and they appear to have pushed it back to April 23. I haven't tried to order it, but it appears that the eBook was published the same day as the new test.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been wondering about the new ICND1 myself. I was up to the OSPF chapter in Odom's ICND2 book when the new tests came out. I hadn't yet taken the ICND1 and noticed that the new ICND1 seemed to cover the old ICND1 minus Wireless, RIP, and SDM + Everything through the OSPF Chapter [except Spanning Tree] and NAT, IPv6, DHCP, SVI.

I finished the OSPF chapter and skipped ahead to NAT and IPv6. Now, I have to determine whether I should take the old ICND1 or the new one. One on side, I do like that Wireless, SDM, and RIP are gone and the additional ICND2 material like ACLs, VLANs, and OSPF would mean less room for rote memorization material like port numbers, protocol details, etc...But, the additional IPv6 could be a problem depending on what is included. Assigning addresses to interfaces is relatively straightforward and from what I can tell OSPFv3 (IPv6 Version of OSPF) simply adds one extra command and you replace all instances of "ip" with "ipv6" (e.g. "show ipv6 ospf neighbor").

The ones that seem to have changed the most are DHCPv6 and RIPng. I don't think the new ICND1 even covers RIPng, so that shouldn't be a problem. DHCP (IPv4) is simple enough that I figured out how to configure it using nothing but the "?" command and a basic understanding of how DHCP works [remembered from Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure.] I was not able to figure out DHCPv6 [thanks to a required option called DUID which I googled and still could not figure out what on earth I was supposed to put there - all the examples just show a seemingly random long string of numbers with an explanation that makes absolutely zero sense.]

If I decided to go with the old test, I would finish up the EIGRP and WAN (PPP, Frame Relay) chapters of Odom's book, finish up the INE videos and then take ICND1 and ICND2 in quick succession. But, if I went the new test, I would want to watch the CBT Nuggets videos and then take ICND1 before continuing on to the EIGRP and WAN Chapters.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]