Question about the new certification track

effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
I contemplated last year going CCNA>CCNA Sec>CCNP Security, now that they've changed the tracks my initial thoughts were to still follow that same path but to just do CCENT. But I am thinking of going the route of getting CCNP R&S first just so that I have a better foundation before diving into Security or Voice (Would also benefit me since we use BGP/MPLS at work but is primarily handled by our network consultant/carrier).

I see no problem with getting CCENT but depending on work and life, may not be able to get INCD2 v1 completed by Sept. 30th. If I have the v1 CCENT, can I combine it with INCD2 v2 for CCNA?

Comments

• d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    effekted wrote: »
    I see no problem with getting CCENT but depending on work and life, may not be able to get INCD2 v1 completed by Sept. 30th. If I have the v1 CCENT, can I combine it with INCD2 v2 for CCNA?

I'm not sure about the answer to the question you have written in first paragraph. So I omitted it.
    The answer to quoted question is: yes. CCNETv1 should solve the pre-req problem AFAIK.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    effekted wrote: »
    I contemplated last year going CCNA>CCNA Sec>CCNP Security, now that they've changed the tracks my initial thoughts were to still follow that same path but to just do CCENT. But I am thinking of going the route of getting CCNP R&S first just so that I have a better foundation before diving into Security or Voice (Would also benefit me since we use BGP/MPLS at work but is primarily handled by our network consultant/carrier).

Wise choice... & yes, but just be aware that there will be a knowledge "gap" between old ICND1 & new ICND2.
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    d6bmg wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the answer to the question you have written in first paragraph. So I omitted it.
    The answer to quoted question is: yes. CCNETv1 should solve the pre-req problem AFAIK.

Yea first paragraph was just my thought process.
    Xyro wrote: »
    Wise choice... & yes, but just be aware that there will be a knowledge "gap" between old ICND1 & new ICND2.

Yup, I actually opened a ticket with Cisco to confirm since I didn't have a response yet to this thread. I watched the CBT's and read Odom's book for CCENT last year but will need to go through them again and lab. Ideally sometime next month I'd like to take the test, and I am possibly going to push to pass INCD2 v1 before the deadline, but worst case I'll just have to prepare for INCD2 v2.

If I can knock out CCNP this year I should have no problem getting a good paying network centric role instead of my current JOAT system admin.