Options

Complete Carreer Transition - New Member, Just saying "Hi"

RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I didn't see a general "Introduction" board, but I figured I'd say "Hi" anyway.

I came across this site after I googled several different questions I had about my pending certs. I'm sure I'll have many questions to ask in forums as that time approaches.

I'll be leaving the Military soon. I've been overseas nearly my entire carreer. Out of the past 9 years, I've only lived in the States for a few months at a time. My nervousness is compounded by the fact that IT is a completely different career path than what I currently do (Equivalent to a SWAT Team Member, and a Detective in the US Army).

I was fortunate enough to have earned a Master of IT (Information Security / Assurance, Minor: Computer Forensics) during my service. (Thank you, GI Bill!). I'll be out in August, and attending a training program in November in Kansas City to earn a bunch of entry-level certs. (A+, Security+, CCENT, and Microsoft Networking Fundamentals - Thanks again, GI Bill!)

So there it is. Tactical experience, but IT Education.

First question for the group = Are these organizations that offer these certification courses legit?

I'd rather not say the name of the trainining center in a forum (unsure if it's a voilation of ToS or anything), but a clever person could undboubtedly figure it out from the info provided above, if they felt the need.

Comments

• Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Hey RogueJD,

Welcome to the forums! I would say there a lot of websites that claim certain... Legitimacy to online certification courses, so you need to be careful what one you want to spend your money on, and also be careful you're not learning outdated information. I would search the forums as there are a lot of good recommendations to online courses, or learning paths you can take to completing/learning a certain certification.

Usually, you still have to find a brick and mortar location to actually complete and get a "legitimate" certification. But I will leave the response to this question to other qualified individuals.

Again, welcome aboard! This is a great forum to get information on.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Good point about outdated information! I was concerned about that, but after some research, the facility I am considering seems to use current certs.

For instance, I see a lot of people mentioning the A+ certifications using the 220-701 and 702 exams. This facility, from my understanding, is using the 801 and 802 exams.

//edit: Another question for the group: I've got resumes on Monster and LinkedIn, and have been flooded by recruitment firms who have a position that "is a great fit for [me]" (Never fails - those exact words... Every. Time.

B.S., right? Or are these legitimate things I should be considering (Once I'm marketable - still in the Military)

My take on 'em is that they're simply calling everyone and anyone in order to fatten the selection pool for their client company.
  • Options
    Any feedback on that last question. I'm curious to know if I'm simply being target-spammed.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't call it spam, but that's SOP for recruiting firms and it's super annoying. It's usually not even people emailing you. A system detects your resume on monster, then sends you an email if you hit the right keywords. If you see something that's actually a fit, go ahead and contact them. If you don't think the position is a fit, trust your instinct over theirs. I've been told even over the phone I'd be a fit for positions I couldn't even pretend to do with a straight face.

The "great fit for" is so widely used that I wouldn't try to use it as a Turing test. Literally every single recruiter I have ever been contacted by has used those words, and we're talking hundreds of recruiters.

The only thing I will say is avoid giving out any more sensitive personal information unless you've actually spoken to someone and you'll into an application process. Don't give out your social (oddly, some companies are asking for the last five digits), and don't even give out your address until you've confirmed the person.

Oh, and welcome to Tech Exams.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    soapsoap Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome! I just joined myself and I've decided on going back to school at WGU. I attended ITT for 2 years and it was a complete waste of money. I'm looking forward to spending more time here!
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Your assumption here:
    My take on 'em is that they're simply calling everyone and anyone in order to fatten the selection pool for their client company.

Is correct... Monster and LinkedIn (if you have it that you're open to new career opportunities) will very much so contact anyone and everyone to get the largest selection going that they can funnel out the individuals that would fit their employers specifications.

Another tid-bit is that you can also get a portfolio/profile going on Indeed.com, Dice.com, etc... To help broaden your chances of a job when you get out if you want to test the waters in other places.

Best of luck!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TechExams!! icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Sponx wrote: »
    Another tid-bit is that you can also get a portfolio/profile going on Indeed.com, Dice.com, etc... To help broaden your chances of a job when you get out if you want to test the waters in other places.

Best of luck!

I've rolled the Dice (Pun intended...), but I haven't heard of Indeed.com. I'll have to check 'em out. Thanks, all, for the feedback.
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!

Looks like you and I are on the same career path; public safety experience but looking to get involved in the IT world. Although ideally I'd like to combine the two at some point in the future.