Options

Recommended Reading CCNP

paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello folks, I have access to CBTnuggets and Trainsignal videos but would like to know what books to read, to help me with the exam. I have seen the foundation and Odom books, but maybe there is sometime else. Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    KoryKory Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the guy who runs GNS3vault.com Rene Molenaar has 3 ebooks, I bought the ones for Route and Tshoot, I used chris bryant's ebook for switch.

Personally I find the official cert guides to be a bit dry. I really like Rene's books because he will show demonstrations of each concept as he is explaining it. And in a lot of cases (especially route) has a link to a lab on the topic on GNS3vault.com

route and switch require a lot of bookwork, tshoot is basically a test of everything in action. I got the official cert guide for that and frankly I didn't need it.

I think rene's book, along with the youtube "bullseye strategy for tshoot" videos, and doing the practice excerises at cisco are all you really need to pass tshoot. Just don't make the mistake of waiting too long between your route and switch tests. Once those are done, give yourself a couple weeks to review then take TSHOOT.
  • Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah what is the consensus on rene's books?
  • Options
    Are those books pdf or some weird .exe with drm?
  • Options
    they are pdf iirc
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently reading the CCNP Route Foundation Learning Guide and am enjoying it
  • Options
    Does that seem to be a quality book? I heard some people saying it was riddled with errors?
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paq7512 wrote: »
    Does that seem to be a quality book? I heard some people saying it was riddled with errors?

I think you might be referring to the Switch edition of the FLG books. To my knowledge that is the one that is "not as great" as the OCG.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have both the OCG and FLG. I've noticed that OCG skips over a good amount of stuff. Personally I like the FLG more.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used FLG and OCG for ROUTE and SWITCH. I feel there is a lot of misinformation about SWITCH in particular - if you read the OCG and FLG, lab the technologies and use the supplemental information that can be downloaded from Cisco Press, then you'll get a pass.

The SWITCH exam as been edited a great deal since the first version that caused so many issues.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all your time. I went with the Rene books from the high reviews. Bought all three for $60 and they are pdfs, woot woot.
  • Options
    paq: what are you reviews so far on these books?>