Options

CCENT vs CCNA material

bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
ok, did a search and didn't fine a thread that I could ask this question without hijacking one. So I am sorry ahead of time if I am doing this wrong.

I just got Todd's Lammle's CCNA study guide 7th edition. I am shooting for CCENT in a few months then trying to squeeze ICND2 in right before Sept 30th.

I have also started looking at Lab gear, and don't know if I need to go and buy some right now or wait till I get closer to the ICND2? Also where do you start, I am a little scared to buy something off ebay then its doesn't have the right IOS or not work at all. I have heard not to buy off ebay, or not to buy CCNA kits of ebay. I am leaning toward just buying Boson Netsim and just be done with it. But I have heard some say that picking out hardware helps on the CCNA and down the road with CCNP?

I will add I am kind of a hands on type learner, so the Lab gear might just push me to understand all that is needed for CCNA?

I want to pickup a CCENT book to accompany Todd's CCNA study guide. Can't I just get the Cisco CCENT book by Odem and then just read the first 6 or so chapters of Todd's CCNA study guide for CCENT?

Thanks in advanced
“You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bub9001 wrote: »
    I have heard some say that picking out hardware helps on the CCNA and down the road with CCNP? I will add I am kind of a hands on type learner, so the Lab gear might just push me to understand all that is needed for CCNA?
    Physical routers are not required nor important for attaining the CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, or CCIE. If you feel it would be fun to build a lab--and it won't throw your timeline or budget too far off--then by all means do what makes it more exciting. :)
  • Options
    Physical routers are not required nor important for attaining the CCENT, CCNA, CCNP, or CCIE. If you feel it would be fun to build a lab--and it won't throw your timeline or budget too far off--then by all means do what makes it more exciting. :)

I am completely new to Cisco, and don't mess with any Cisco devices currently. So it might not be a bad idea, but I just want to get a good gauge of those that have already walked this path.

Thanks for your input.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

• Options
    mcuberlymcuberly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    though they are not absolutely needed, I think having physical equipment helped me learn a lot about things like changing the ios image, nvram/flash memory management, boot register, etc. I also learned a bunch of things I think are important but not on the test, like how to crimp cables, change switch fans, and wtf slarp is.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I did my CCNA purely with GNS3, and Packet Tracer(switching). You dont need physical equipment.

Note: I had my equipments, i was so comfy with GNS3, i didnt even put my lab together.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    I did my CCNA purely with GNS3, and Packet Tracer(switching). You dont need physical equipment.

Note: I had my equipments, i was so comfy with GNS3, i didnt even put my lab together.

Ok, seems like GNS3 and Packet Tracer is the go to for now.

I stated reading Todd's CCNA Study Guide (7th edition). My main concern is did I buy the wrong book for what I am trying to do. I am going to go the CCENT/CCNA route. So I am wondering where I stop in Todd's CCNA book for CCENT. I plan on getting Odom's ICND1 and ICND2 book later. But I don't want to read all of Todd's book and feel like I over studied for CCENT. I know that I don't have the network understanding to take the CCNA, and feel like I might have made a mistake with starting the CCNA book rather then a CCENT book?

• Options
    Mrkali wrote: »

Thanks, I will say I feel lost at times with the amount of info for CCNA.

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Look at the CCENT bluprint. It'll tell you which technology you need to know. Just read the chapters in Lammle's book covering those material (should be the first half).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    So I was looking at purchasing Cisco CCNA in 60 days by Paul Browning. Mostly for the structured approach to learning the material. I don't really intend on taking the CCNA (640-802) in 60 days, but if I feel good I just might. Anyone use this book along with other material?

Also has anyone used Odom's "CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library, Simulator Edition Updated (3rd edition)" ?

Thanks in advance