Options

My recent CISSP journey

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
Okay TE Fam, I promised that I would come back discuss my exam experience so here we go, I hope you brought your earplugs, LOL.

My journey started back in Sept. 2011, not having the test experience I thought that I could walk into this exam by only studying for 30 days prior to my exam and relying on my experience to help me through the way. Boy, I was terribly wrong; the exam totally kicked my rear end. So after 9 months of being depressed about the defeat, I started looking at all the testimonials here about member's success in regards to their CISSP experience. I can tell you that I was extremely jealous which motivated me to try harder for my next exam. ISC2 announced its transition to the CBT last year, "Yes!" I ordered every book through Amazon that had CISSP on it. I subscribed to ccure.org and other authorized test engines. I was seriously on a mission this time. This entire process took me about six months of studying a domain every two weeks using Shon Harris and Eric Conrad's book. I was never able to score over 70% on the ccure tests, I was averaging in the 60's. I had to get thinking like an engineer out of my head. So I finally sat for the CBT in Sept. 2012, sadly to say I scored a 698, I felt like jumping off a bridge, I felt like I let my family down do to my mental absence from the last 6 months. So, I decided that I couldn't do anymore studying for the remainder of the year due to the holiday season approaching (e.g., my birthday, my son's birthday, Thanksgiving, etc.). I knew that I needed to attend a bootcamp because when I was studying I had to wait until my toddler went to sleep and sometimes that was around 10pm and my weekends were totally studying so you see what I meant by being mentally absent from them. I did no studying prior to the bootcamp actually the ISC2 Review Seminar/Training Camp. I was actually excited about this bootcamp, my job was against me going so I had to pay for it on my own dime and after I informed them that I was still going they were still against it because I assume my manager didn't have this credential. So I went anyway. The seminar was great. I had a phenomenal instructor and classmates. Every day went from 8am to 5pm, and then the evening sessions went from 6:30pm to about 9:30pm. My brain has never gone through this kind of torture before so by the time I had dinner and a shower, I couldn't do any like reading for preparation for the next day, I was literally that exhausted, this was M-F. Saturday session was more like a review, we took a 125 question mock exam, we graded it and went over the questions we had wrong. The instructor took her time to go over each question and why we answered it the way we did, which was extremely helpful. I finally found myself thinking like a manager. I scored a 79 on the exam. I still had my doubts because I knew I had a great understanding of the material and its content but my biggest enemy was myself. I have terribly test anxiety. Going over my dear friend Kalkan999's home with him and his lovely wife that Saturday evening and staying the night with them helped me a 110%, we just basically had a CISSP dialogue for about two hours. Talking with someone about the common body of knowledge verbally was so relaxing and its definitely great for memory retention. I went to bed about 12:30 and woke about 7am. So, driving back to the hotel only took me 20 minutes. The exam started 8:45, everyone wished each other good luck, and since it was St. Patricks Day, I wore my lime green dress shirt, lol. When the proctors gave us the thumbs up to commence, I immediately brain dumped everything onto the first sheet of the exam booklet, I was shocked that I had that much information stored in my head, I literally covered the entire sheet. The first 100 questions seemed pretty simple to me, omitting about 4 of the questions answering all my questions in the booklet. At question 125, I took a 15 minute break, I walked with a proctor around the hotel, that helped a lot. I looked at the clock and it was 11:00, 2 of 13 had already finished the exam. So I sat back down and began answering again as I was at Q245 the proctor announced that we had 90 minutes left. I had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to changed any of my answers. Out of 250 questions, I had 12 questions that I hadn't answered, so I went back to those, answered them carefully using process of elimination. So after completing those 12 questions, I had an hour left remaining. So for the last hour, I spent that time carefully applying my answers from the booklet to the bubble sheet. Once I was done, I had 45 minutes remaining for the exam. I felt confident that I didn't need to go back to double check anything. I used only the test methods the instructor had given me throughout the week, by circling and underlining key words in the sentence and answering questions by looking at answers D, C, B, A, that was extremely helpful as well, thats why I prefer the PBT over the CBT. I felt okay leaving the hotel like everyone has, I had my doubts. Then about 5 hours later, my director called me that evening stating that I was terminated from employment, this was on a Sunday. So, instead of me wanting to read my results, I created a filter in gmail for my results to be forwarded to two people, kalkan999 and irishangel. Irish IM'd me on Thursday that I had passed, I called Kalkan999 to inform him and he checked his email and was extremely elated for me. I was in the parking lot sobbing like a school girl but I didn't care at all, lol. The wait was only 18 days. I submitted my endorsement and resume to ISC(2) Friday at 2:30pm and I received an email from them 2 hours later stating that they had received my endorsement documentation and have placed it in queue to be reviewed. Now another wait begins.
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude, great read. I'm very sorry to hear about your termination. Passing that test must have been a HUGE relief! This right here proves that determination is key.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I mean....

...Damn....

This story has more twists and turns then laguna seca. Ok, bad example.

I can't believe they fired you. I can't believe you paid for the CISSP bootcamp on your own dime. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PARTIED WITH KALKAN.

But you passed!!! icon_cheers.gif thats all that matters. Along with your endorsement will be a ferrari driven by beautiful women with cash in the trunk.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Quite a bit duress to handle all at once but it seems you made it out ok on the other side icon_cheers.gif. Congrats and thank you for posting your journey/experience. I will be sitting for this exam next month and so far this forum has proven to be invaluable because of posts like this.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for sharing and I wish you the best of luck in your job search. Given your tenacity in getting that CISSP, I am sure you will have the mettle to get a new job soon.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I too have had the experience where the manager was extremely against doing some certification as this would place my skills above his. Anyway there was a major project that he stuffed and had to leave. The situation is still the same as the new managers are no different and I too am looking at doing the bootcamp on my own! By the way who was the bootcamp provider and the instructor? The main thing is that going back to the same place would not have been good as you surely had demonstrted more skills and kowledge than your managers. My way of thinking,'When there is no more left to learn, time to move on'.
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure wrote: »
    Congratulations. I too have had the experience where the manager was extremely against doing some certification as this would place my skills above his. Anyway there was a major project that he stuffed and had to leave. The situation is still the same as the new managers are no different and I too am looking at doing the bootcamp on my own! By the way who was the bootcamp provider and the instructor? The main thing is that going back to the same place would not have been good as you surely had demonstrted more skills and kowledge than your managers. My way of thinking,'When there is no more left to learn, time to move on'.

Thanks, I actually wanted to sit in November but my Director told me to wait because my Manager would have had a problem with that since he was still working on his undergrad. I went through ISC(2) Review Seminar/Training Camp and my instructor was Monica Gonzalez.
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WOW! Can't believe they fired you........in shock sounds like jealousy to me. Congrats man and we have to meet up, have a couple of beers, and laugh away. Remember chin up, NEVER GIVE UP.

I wonder who told you that you could email in your info hhhmmmmm icon_wink.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    webgeek wrote: »
    WOW! Can't believe they fired you........in shock sounds like jealousy to me. Congrats man and we have to meet up, have a couple of beers, and laugh away. Remember chin up, NEVER GIVE UP.

I wonder who told you that you could email in your info hhhmmmmm icon_wink.gif

YOU!!!!!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    ... my Director told me to wait because my Manager would have had a problem with that since he was still working on his undergrad.
    That has got to be the strangest thing that I have read a manager say in a long, long, time. Wow - talk about dysfunctional management. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wow that was a good one. Man they fired you because that manager knows he will be below you when you pass and you did.

Congrats!
  • Options
    tony71tony71 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I forgot to ask, you had a 698 which was sooooo close did you think taking the boot camp helped? I would think if you went back and took the exam again without the boot camp you would have nailed it.
  • Options
    moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    TBRAYS, hang in there man, don't even sweat that job, you gonna land another job soon. Am sure Kalkan and Iristheangel got your back...:)... Besides, your certs speak for themselves, you gonna be fine.
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Man! You will pick up another job before you know it!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, its only been 3 weeks but it seems like forever, I just gotta get back out there!
  • Options
    azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Wow, what a story... Many congratulations!!! You passed a tough test with a lot on your mind. You should be very proud.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that I've had 5 deaths in the family since the year began......
  • Options
    moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Wow...That's really tragic man ...icon_sad.gif ... Chin up man, I know it is way easier said than done, but chin up, you gonna be fine. You gonna be in a job in no time, this just be a phase...
  • Options
    !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to be positive! There is too much negativity to worry about. Look at the bigger picture it will get better. Best of Luck.
  • Options
    HumbeHumbe Member Posts: 202
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that I've 5 deaths in the family since the year began......

Wow !!

It will get better. I'm glad you were able to pass the exam at least.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What a story. Congrats on the pass. What goes up must go down so it's just a matter of time until things get back to normal. Hang in there.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Truly an inspiration. You'll be on your feet in no time!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    hoelscherahoelschera Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations.
  • Options
    photodegasphotodegas Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□