Options

Your IT Wishlist

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Let's say your department/division/team/whatever had come into money, whether it be via record profits, government grants, etc. Then your supervisors gather you and your peers to come up with ways to spend it, what areas of IT would you want to spend it on to improve or upgrade?

Training opportunities? Long overdue server upgrades? A big virtualization project or upgrade to a current one? A sophisticated offsite baclup service? Tablets for field staff? Software that enhances how you support your customers? Things you/your boss/your team has been wanting to do or even putting off, purely because of funding. Especially things you that you know will improve you or your business.

Let's be realistic here. No company cars from Bentley, gold plated smartphones or certification boot camps held at the Hamptons. icon_rolleyes.gif
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SANS courses! All the way up to GIAC GSE and maybe CCNA/CCNP/CCIE training plus paying for labs
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Management that respects their employees and peers who live by the golden rule.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Tons of training, Retina MacBook Pros, full upgrade to Server 2008 R2 and 2012 across the board, full-blown redundant infrastructure across the board, new ticketing/CMDB/change management/etc. system, renewed focus on security, more bandwidth. Always more bandwidth, always.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I would add 1 to my team's headcount so I can work on more fun stuff that I keep putting off. Lots or room for optimization here but the time is not there.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A core refresh, access layer refresh, wireless refresh and a full Resilient WAN link utilizing BGP (cause I want to learn BGP in the real world, and get resilience for our systems)

Tick, Tick, Tick and tick ;) Government grants are your friend..

Basically there is a site wide development project of around £300-£400 million over the next 3 years and the IT systems have to be brought up to spec to match. So its pretty much if you need it, and you can put forward a business case how it will play its part in making us world leading then you can have it. Its a pretty nice situation to be in, I get lots of nice "toys" to play with, and if I show that they are worth it I can keep buying new ones.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Guest wifi access, with site wide wireless coverage (probably 2/3rds there).
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say training/professional development investments (seminars, personal play n' learn servers, cbt, books...) and allot time for us to train formally. We're a pretty dispersed crew, and we only get together in person once a year so it would be nice to not have travel costs be prohibitive of meeting more often.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    We actually have a lot of new, great equipment and tons of training opportunities but I would love to see a technical operations manager hired. Someone who knew our core technologies better than we did to help make better informed decisions and restore order out of our chaos.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I would want an apprentice/intern/flunky to offload some of my more menial tasks, allowing me to focus more on an ongoing database project. While at the same time helping them get their feet wet.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    We actually have a lot of new, great equipment and tons of training opportunities but I would love to see a technical operations manager hired. Someone who knew our core technologies better than we did to help make better informed decisions and restore order out of our chaos.

Why hire some one? Would you not rather some one there took the optatunity and did it. Knowing the technologies is only half the battle and any one can learn these. The real skill is knowing how to apply them to your company. Getting some one new in and you risk them trying to fit your company to the skill set and experince they have. But take some one internal and they will learn the skills to fit to your company. A much better out come often.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.