Options

CCNA, Pass Without Books?

jlacroixjlacroix Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. I'm considering starting on the path to study for the CCNA. I currently have Network+, but CCNA seems like an attractive certification. I was considering this before but I've fallen away from it for quite some time.

My question is this. Do you guys think it's possible to study for the CCNA with only tutorial videos (such as CBT Nuggets, Train Signal, etc) or is reading absolutely required? I have several certifications already, and I find reading to be a chore at times. I can't say that books ever really helped me pass certifications but I've noticed that I somehow learn better with videos. Is CCNA something that you would say reading is a requirement?

I'm considering buying a kit and watching two separate sets of training videos.

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Probably the amount of experience you have will be detrimental here. If you have network experience and especially something Cisco-related you may pull it off. Everyone has different ways of studying and what works for me may not work for you.IMHO, you should go through the some book(the ocg for example) at least once to familiarize yourself with the terms and concepts, specific scenarios and whatnot.They prepare you for the exam quite good as they have practice questions and scenarios similar to those on the exams. From my experience, although I like learning through videos too, I would have never passed if I didn't read some books.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There are a lot of little details in Cisco certifications that are difficult to pick up from videos alone. What makes the videos easier to take in is that they leave a lot of the nitty gritty out. You don't want to miss this kind of stuff not only to pass the exam, but also to make you better at your job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What makes the videos easier to take in is that they leave a lot of the nitty gritty out.
    Aye. There's no theoretical reason you couldn't pass with video-only study, but your practical chances are low. Now, if you you're a hands-on learner, and commit to four hours of serious labbing for every 1-hour chapter you're skipping, I'd have some confidence.

(The videos would be an introduction, and you'd learn most of the details by doing.)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I would say that anything worth doing is worth doing all the way. Reading helps with theory, videos are the practical application of theory. Do both and you really can't go wrong.
  • Options
    hoelscherahoelschera Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is possible but you need to know the CLI or have access to a sym.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will probably just read a book. For some reason though with my previous certifications it seems as though I didn't really soak in much knowledge from books. But maybe I should read on this one because I'm kind of spooked about how hard this one is claimed to be.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Reinforce the book learning by doing what they talk about. Honestly, I had zero Cisco knowledge when I worked on mine. I passed both tests the first time. But I spent hours in the books and then on the CLI working through the materials. It really boils down to how well you study and how well you know the material (shocker I know). But I think people make these/this exam(s) out to be harder than what it really is. Yes, it's a tough exam. Yes, you will have to learn the Cisco way of question asking. But be confident in your learning and studying methods and you'll do just fine. Just be honest with yourself on where you stand while working on it and don't take the easy ways out and you'll come out with a solid understanding of Cisco fundamentals. GLHF
  • Options
    Good advice, thank you. I'm working on Security+ right now and I may or may not get a certification in Java (I will if it gets me out of a few classes) and then I will start CCNA.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What's wrong with having a book? I find that books are much easier to get the theory into my noggin' rather than watching a video.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    For me I am wondering if it is a waste of time. I don't soak in information that well from books, at least when compared to "seeing" it. It doesn't make sense but I guess my learning style is different. For example, I just recently passed the LPIC-2 and I think less than 10% of that pass was due to a book, if any at all. Practicing commands and looking up information seemed to help me better.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    no shortcuts. end of story.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jlacroix wrote: »
    For me I am wondering if it is a waste of time. I don't soak in information that well from books, at least when compared to "seeing" it. It doesn't make sense but I guess my learning style is different. For example, I just recently passed the LPIC-2 and I think less than 10% of that pass was due to a book, if any at all. Practicing commands and looking up information seemed to help me better.

I would agree with you on the Book thing, I also don't soak up book info as well as others. And I also want to be wise with my time and use the right resources to pass the CCNA.

My plan is to read Todd's CCNA study guide (7th edition), watching CBT nuggets and Chris Bryant's video's, while doing tons of Labs to boot. I am looking at 2 to 3 months for CCENT and try to squeeze in CCNA before Sept 30th. I figure with all the material I should be good for ICND1, but ICND2 will more then likely take longer then I would like.

Keep in mind that books alone is hard, so with all three content area's it has to be much easier to retain. I really would prefer to just learn it on the job, but I don't have the luxury at this time. To me a good percentage of how I learn is from doing, and its way more fun.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    no shortcuts. end of story.

Very good point, this is Cisco we are talking about.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like anything else, you need to practice to get better. Reading a technical book is much different than reading Harry Potter.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    There are a lot of little details in Cisco certifications that are difficult to pick up from videos alone. What makes the videos easier to take in is that they leave a lot of the nitty gritty out. You don't want to miss this kind of stuff not only to pass the exam, but also to make you better at your job.

This!

You absolutely cannot fully understand what you need to by watching CBT Nuggets. They are nothing more than supplementary to your reading. Reading is where you will pick up the details you need and IMO reading cannot be avoided.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. :)
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Possible. But having a hard copy of the book would prove to be very useful - specially as reference material.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Can you pass by doing books and labs and skipping the videos?
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes you can skip the videos and still pass with books and labs. The videos shouldn't be considered anything more than an extra add on IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You cannot and will not pass without reading the book and doing labs. The videos alone are not enough. They help you understand the concepts better, but they do NOT contain enough information for you to pass the test.There are many people who have books, videos, labs, flashcards, and practice exams and still can't pass that test.
  • Options
    Christopher DobkowskiChristopher Dobkowski Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, don't take me the wrong way, but this is the stupidest question I've seen so far...

Always! The books are better than videos. Those videos are actually meant to serve as a recap of what you read from the books. icon_rolleyes.gif
    And still, they don't cover the 35% of what's in the books... So you get like 65% of the whole CCNA by watching those vids.
  • Options
    Yes you can skip the videos and still pass with books and labs. The videos shouldn't be considered anything more than an extra add on IMO.

Cool I don't mind watching the videos if I'm struggling with a certain subject but if I have a subject down I'd rather not bother. I'd rather spend the time labbingicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Can you pass by doing books and labs and skipping the videos?
    Absolutely! I never used videos to pass the CCNA. Lammle or Odom cover all you need to know, plus some hands-on practice. :)
  • Options
    Absolutely! I never used videos to pass the CCNA. Lammle or Odom cover all you need to know, plus some hands-on practice. :)
    I have the Odom book and the CCENT for dummies. I really like the for Dummies book:D. Hopefully I wont have to read to much of the Odom book.