So... practical certifications, do you add the 'skills' on your resume?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
If you theoretically were a CCNP or RHCE with no experience using those skills in a real job, you should be putting what you can do on your skills right? Even though you can't attach them to a specific job.
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't add any skills to a resume I haven't used in a job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    "Skills" are usually assumed to be something that you have actual 'real life' experience doing. That's what makes it a skill, not because you read about (for example).
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So what do you do when you're trying to change professions and you have no experience in the field you're trying to enter? How do you make your resume look attractive to employers if you can't put down any relevant skills?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You put what you have done. Nothing else you can do really.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    You can always "fluff" your resume; however, if you are called out on it I believe that would decrease your chances for that job incredibly.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't even have a skills section, and I typically don't recommend them if you have any significant amount of experience and other credentials.

That being said, when I did have one, I put anything in there in which I was proficient, even if I didn't do it in a professional setting. Now my experience descriptions are always accurate, but there's no rule that says you can't have skills unless you got them on the job. That being said, don't fluff it. Unless you are truly well-versed enough in the technology in question that you would be comfortable having to work with it right away on day one, don't put it on your resume. And certainly, if you put anything on there you haven't used in a production environment, be forthcoming with that in your interviews.

I've put various forms of Linux proficiency on my resume over the years, but when asked I'll always explain my limited experience and knowledge with it. (Off-topic, but sadly enough that most shops are impressed by even that and invariably send Linux stuff at me. Definitely some high demand for that skill set)
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340