Options

Being in the Help Desk hole

cloud802cloud802 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been reading a few threads and it seems that I'm not the only guy that is tired of the help desk role and want to move out. I'm planning on finishing up the CCNA before the test changes September. I'm just curious how some of you got out the help desk and whether there's any companies I should look at in the Metro area? I'm willing to work for free and drive 60 miles at this point just to get that experience lol.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't speak for myself but there have been quite a few members who shortly after landing their CCNA finding roles outside of the desk. I've also witnessed this in person as well.

I remember a kid who came in the desk around 19 - 20 years old, he was attending the Cisco academy, finally passed the 2 year course and passed his CCNA. Within 3 months of that he was brought on to the networking team, while the lifers sat around and pissed and moaned.

Take it for what it's worth. I also knew of another guy who did something similiar he did some security certifications and they brought him into access management and he then was moved up once again managing firewalls or something to that effect.

These are internal promotion examples I am referring too. With a CCNA and some IT experience you should be able to land a NOC position or something more network related. That of course is assuming that's what you want to do.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I was on the Helpdesk for a little over two years. I had plenty of certifications and could have gotten out of there if I wanted to, but I was in school at that time, and wanted to wait until I got my BS degree to start looking for anything. If you are asking for advice, I would tell you to make the most of your opportunity. Study, Study, Study!!!!! Get certifications, get a degree. I promise you that doors will open up for you as long as you make the most of your time on the Helpdesk. It might not be the most glamorous job, but I can tell you from experience that it does pay off. I am currently a Network Engineer at my current place of work, and I have a job on the horizon for a SysAdmin position with the gov't. Work hard, and study harder, and it will all work out for you.
  • Options
    That's what I think I will do, continue to study and probably apply for a few network jobs. It's just that most want X years experience already in the field.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tie your helpdesk duties to said X amount of years ;)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Study, work hard, and use your extra time when available wisely by getting some certifications and the opportunities will come!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I spent 2 years on the help desk. I got my CCNA and CCNA Security while there. I had to find another job to get out of there, but the certifications made it easier to find a new job.
  • Options
    I spend about 3 hours of my shift a day studying to pass the CCNA. My help desk is very restrictive in what I can learn beyond AD password resets and outlook issues even when I ask my manager for more responsibilities. Some of the guys been here for 7 years and I'd rather bash my head into a wall then do that lol.