Making the transisition, What level?

gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in the process of making the transition from my current career to IT, but my question is stemmed from the fact that there is some overlap present between IT and my current position. My question is: What level of job should I be qualified? I am currently an electrician (~5 years), but I tend to deal with many items related to IT on a regular basis. Here are my current IT related qualifications:

-Installation and termination of cabling (including CAT5/6, Fiber, Coaxial, etc)
-Installation of hardware components (servers, router, switches, racks, etc)
-Basic configuration of Layer 2 switches (typically Cisco 2950/2960)
-Basic configuration of Routers/Layer 3 switches (typically Cisco as well)
-Basic user support relating to hardware and cabling issues
-Working at the project management level on various network installations and upgrades
-Basic PLC programming and device communication using RS232, RS485, and ethernet

Experience from previous jobs:

-Monitoring and modifying an automated shipping process utilizing AIX (both CLI and GUI) ~2 years
-Technical Support for Sirius Radio (Installation, Activation, and Troubleshooting) ~1 year
-US Army (Active and Reserve ~8 years) utilizing systems based on Solaris (CLI and GUI)

Home:

-Build computers for family and friends
-Setup home networks
-Home Network Lab (2-2950, 2-3550, 2-2612, 3-2650xm)
-Home VM Lab (PE2950 Server)
-Website building for family and friends
-Basic Linux knowledge from multiple distro installations

I am currently enrolled in the Network Admin-IT degree program at WGU and hope to finish early next year. So that would add certifications such as: MCSA 08R2 and CCNA. I am not sure where I fit in at my experience level.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When you say basic configuration, are you actually configuring them with your own knowledge of the network or copy/pasting in what someone else gave you?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Configuring on my own knowledge, but using given ip's and such. I say basic because I don't typically configure much more than the basic necessities. I usually don't setup vpn, acl, or security type stuff.
    Sounds like you have some decent experience. Shouldn't have to start at the very bottom of the ladder.
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Sounds like if you did some studying and grabbed the CCNA you would be qualified to take an entry level network admin job as opposed to tech support, which is where most start. Further, your experience will probably let you jump out of the entry level and in to a mid level position within a year or two. I feel like you have a good base but the CCNA will give you knowledge beyond "How to" such as why, when etc that is important when you are working as an administrator making decisions rather than tech support or smart hands where you are just implementing others decisions.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
    Thanks for the input. I would love to start in an entry/junior admin position. It is a major concern of mine that I will have to take a major pay cut by starting in a support role.
    That is still a very possible outcome. Not to bring you down, but you need to keep your expectations in check.

Good luck!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is still a very possible outcome. Not to bring you down, but you need to keep your expectations in check.

Good luck!

I'm learning that this will have to happen to me if I wanna progress in IT regarding taking a paycut. It's now a reality for me.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
    I understand that I will take a pay cut most likely, even to a entry admin job. I am just hoping to not go from $30 down to $12.