Options

Passed OSCP!

Got the word today thought I passed the OSCP exam! Best feeling ever :) For those of you on the fence about it, do it, you will not regret it. It has been hands down the most educational, frustrating, and rewarding programs I've ever done, you won't regret it!

And for those of you currently in the course, browse the forums, hangout in irc channel, and TRY HARDER! :)

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!

I've been thinking about going through this course but the whole "Try harder" thing would make me a little upset.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    Ya, I thought it would bother me, but honestly, it did make me work that much harder. Plus there are other students in the IRC channel that you can bounce ideas off of, the forums, etc. I would say go for it!
  • Options
    JasonP03JasonP03 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm doing it next month. Did you work full time while you did it? How much lab time do you recommend. Also, did you do the report for the labs as well?
  • Options
    I did work fulltime, I would definitely recommend at least the 60 day option. I splurged for a 15 day extension as I didn't verify some shellcode for an exploit that destroyed my vm which resulted in me loosing all my lab work icon_sad.gif So, I didn't turn in a lab report, just exam, but was enough to pass :)
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! How many boxes were you able to own?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nice - congrats!
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Congratulations!

For a total newb that does not know programming and very little Linux, what books or sources would you recommend to help prepare for the course?
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! Congrats! For someone who is on the fence about this, is there a cert or what someone must know before attempting this that you would recommend?
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    azmattazmatt Member Posts: 114
    Congrats! You should be very proud.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

@YuckTheFankees I was able to pwn all the machines in the student network, development network, and two in the admin network. Really loved being able to practice pivoting which I don't do very often.

@Krones Programming really isnt that big in the course. There is a lot of scripting and exploit development, but you'll just need to know the basics. A couple of resources I kept referring to were the Web Application Hackers Handbook and Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, and of course, the lab manual! I really do think that the manual (and videos) do a really good job of introducing the topics, but independent research is necessary! I came from a heavy networking background and use Linux on a daily basis so I was able to breeze over those topics. I would say just get comfortable with networking and routing, and load up a Linux VM and use it for your day to day tasks to get comfortable with it.

@webgeek no certification I've ever taken prepared me for the exam, it truly is in a league of its own. Try loading up some VM's from vulnhub.com and play with those, probably the best prep you can do!
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a similar background as you: networking and Linux on a daily basis..so I was able to move past those sections pretty easily. Besides Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, what other resources did you for learning ASM and buffer overflows?
  • Options
    The Shellcoders Handbook was also a pretty valuable resource!
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I know it couldn't have been easy at all. Thanks for the link to vulnhub, I had some of those VMs for testing but not all of them, also thanks on the book suggestions. Once again congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The OSCP is on my must-do list, but I probably won't have the time for it for a long while. Good job on the pass. OffSec does a great job making you feel the burn when it comes to the whole experience of putting in effort, hitting walls, feeling failure, pushing yourself, and attaining victory if you can stretch your imagination. It's a real hacking experience.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Ya, i spent any free time at work working on it, skipping lunch to code an exploit. Then 5-6 hours when I got home, weekends, etc. Truly a grueling but rewarding experience. I see you have the OSWP, would you recommend that course? The price seems pretty reasonable...
  • Options
    DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • Options
    ejg398ejg398 Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I think this is my next one also. I am debating on whether I want to do anything to keep my Cisco certs alive or not seeing as I am not really working hands on at the moment. But I have a little over a year to decide on that one. Again Congrats.
  • Options
    Evo-injectEvo-inject Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    GOood luck for you
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! Sounds like a lot of fun!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I can't believe they rewarded the cert without a lab report. That's cool that they were understanding on that one though.
  • Options
    r0ckm4nr0ckm4n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NovaHax wrote: »
    Congrats man. I can't believe they rewarded the cert without a lab report. That's cool that they were understanding on that one though.

The lab report is not required to pass the exam, but if you are close to passing they may give you extra points based on your lab report.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wish I would have known that... I popped most of the boxes early on, but didn't document. Then spent several days going back through everything again to document. Had I known this, I would have just skipped the lab report altogether.