Asking for a title change and salary adjustment

nmarlowenmarlowe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've just about worked up the nerve to ask the big boss for a title change and salary adjustment.

A little background (bear with me, I'll keep it as brief as possible):

Moved into Assistant Sys Admin 11 years ago. This role has changed tremendously as I've learned and grown. Basically was helpdesk for a couple of years until I slowly started taking over various systems. Four years ago, my boss (Sys Admin) gets promoted to a more managerial role which leaves his old position open. We're told that once he gets through his probationary period, I would be moved up. Between then and now, a new regime has taken over and was never caught up on these discussions. Once my boss was promoted, I naturally just took over everything for my department. Even the big boss refers to me as Sys Admin or Network Admin depending on what I am working on at the time. I think a title change is there for the asking.

However, I also want to propose a salary adjustment (notice I refuse to call it a raise). I've run the numbers on payscale.com and I'm paid 75% lower then people like me. I just want to get to median. But I want to show up with my case well made. My plan is to pick some of the most successful projects along with the role I play and value I bring to the organization.

My biggest hurdle is I'm very passive and non-confrontational. The thought of doing this frightens me. Sure I know the worst he could say is "no."

So, any ideas to make this a winner for me? Other job postings? I don't want to give the impression of an ultimatum as I really have no interest in leaving and would never give them an ultimatum. They've been great to me, and that's not my style.

Ultimately I'm not unhappy with the pay. Sure I'd love to make more. But recently my wife has had some medical problems and is now out of work. This is not the organizations problems. I would like to pay a fair wage for the work I do, the skills I have and the value I bring.

Any thought?

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You've been there 11 years, and picked up the boss's duties 4 years ago? YEAH, I think you have a lot of ammunition to work with.

I'm not going to suggest that you give them an ultimatum, but are you dead set on staying there knowing you might could double your salary by changing jobs? Liking the people you work with is very important, but at the end of the day, you might surprise yourself at how well you'd adjust and thrive in a new situation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • nmarlowenmarlowe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I love working with who I work with. I love being the big fish in a little pond. I especially love the full state pension I get at 50 (15 years to go).

I have great bosses who trust and respect me. My wife has had multitudes of medical issues for the past 10 years and they have been very supportive not just with liberal leave, but emotional support as well.

I may very well look for other opportunities down the road after finishing up some vital certs, but don't really feel all that marketable right now.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello and good luck in your talk with your management.

What you are proposing sounds very reasonable. A salary adjustment is exactly the type of smart conversation that you can have - do it with evidence and facts. There are often times when management may not necessary have thought about the right salary adjustments for employees. It's not always intentional and sometimes just a form of ignorance.

I would not necessarily advocate that you bring job postings to your discussion - general statistics for your area from places like payscale.com, dice.com, etc. would be a good source of facts and evidence.

I would recommend not taking a confrontational tone. Just keep it to the facts.
    I couldn't take a confrontational tone if I wanted to. I've got way too much respect for the guy. I am intimidated by him though, which makes this harder.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh, government work? That is a different animal I guess. I think I'd be tempted to stick around for the full retirement bennies, stock up on certifications, and do freelance/consulting after that.

I still think you should go see your boss and lay out what you have accomplished, the extra you have taken on, with out getting an adjustment and ask if that is something to be considered in the near future.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    nmarlowe wrote: »
    I've got way too much respect for the guy. I am intimidated by him though, which makes this harder.
    Respect is one thing. What do you mean by intimidated? (in a bad way?) Just remember, he probably puts his pants on the same way as you and I do.:)

[edit] just noticed the part about you being in a state government job. Disclosure - I don't have any experience with that so my comments may be entirely useless and may not apply.
    I'm not personally intimidated by him due to his behavior or anything. Mainly just his authority intimidates me. This is all internal to me.
    I think I understand. That's normal and I actually think it's not always a bad thing. I have a healthy respect for anyone that can fire me icon_smile.gif

But seriously though - if you manager is the type of person that you respect as you said, hopefully it's because he earned your respect in the past.

I am in management and I know that there are times when people are painfully uncomfortable talking with me. It's perfectly normal.

BTW - there's nothing wrong in scripting out on paper what you want to say to him first. Bring notes if you must.
  • SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    * Do research on positions posted on Indeed.com/Dice.com/Etc... Try to search jobs by "salary ranges".
    * Compare and Contrast your pay on other areas, be sure you factor in other aspects though (i.e, cost of living) because sites like PayScale/GlassDoor/etc... Have nation wide averages usually. Try to compare on locations close, or similary to you.
    * Write up past projects you have worked on, and helped with, also try and talk numbers/man hours. Show him you're saving the company money by having you aboard and not having someone else do this for the actual "average" pay (or higher end pay) that he would have to have someone else come in as; since you have worked your way up and are managing these without any other training, OT, etc, etc.. (Example scenario).
    * Ensure you're bullet pointing your strongpoint’s, your skillsets, your duties and responsibilities, what you have learned, what you can do, any proprietary applications you know inside and out or that you work with/on with your company.

No need for "confrontation", or "intimidation"... Go in there like you're trying to sell him your car, but the car being you. Bring up all the good aspects, the reliability, the functionality, all the great room it has, the AWD system, the awesome stereo, moon roof, heated leather seats... You get my point. Sell yourself, market yourself, advertise yourself to him.

Worst he can say is no, but if you do this in a positive light and show him you've done your due diligence and you feel strongly about it - any respect he has for you will show something positive that will be reciprocated to you.

Good luck!
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got some work to do with getting everything on paper and organized, but this was exactly what I was looking for.

And just because I feel it needs to be said...I'm in no way disgruntled at what I make. While not entirely comparable to what I could make in the private sector, between the state pension and great medical benefits, at the end of the day I can't really complain. Nobody is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to stay at this salary. I do not feel like I am being taken advantage of or anything, but do think I bring a lot more value compared to what my salary is. At the end of the day if he says he can't do it (I fully expect he will agree on the value side due to things he said in the past, but there are always budget issues), I will respect it and continue to give my best everyday.