Options

70-680 and powershell?

z3r0coolz3r0cool Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm thinking about jumping into my M$ cert path with the 70-680, but I was reading the outline here and I see there's mention of a 'basic understanding of windows powershell'. I have zero scripting knowledge as it stands. Do I need to learn how to script before I learn PS? What's the best way to go about it? I've tried to read some tutorials on the web, but I don't grasp what I can and can't do with it.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One does not simply learn PS.

In all seriousness, you don't need to learn PowerShell for 70-680. You need to learn whatever cmdlets they include and maybe some minor basics. You are not going to come out of studying for it with any actual PowerShell or scripting skills. You don't need any going into it.

Now, I would highly recommend you learn how to script if you want to get ahead. For 70-680 specifically, however, don't fret. Scripting is just not a component of it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    One does not simply learn PS.

In all seriousness, you don't need to learn PowerShell for 70-680. You need to learn whatever cmdlets they include and maybe some minor basics. You are not going to come out of studying for it with any actual PowerShell or scripting skills. You don't need any going into it.

Now, I would highly recommend you learn how to script if you want to get ahead. For 70-680 specifically, however, don't fret. Scripting is just not a component of it.

Thanks. Scripting is something I thought would nice to learn, I just could never get a handle on it or find the right resource. Do you know of one?
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    z3r0cool wrote: »
    Thanks. Scripting is something I thought would nice to learn, I just could never get a handle on it or find the right resource. Do you know of one?

Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches: Don Jones, Jeffery Hicks: 9781617291081: Amazon.com: Books
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is really popular: Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches: Don Jones, Jeffery Hicks: 9781617291081: Amazon.com: Books

There are lots of online resources. The best thing you can do is come from a computer science/programming background. Lacking that, you can still self-teach usable scripting skills using free online resources. Honestly, I've learned most of what I know from figuring out how to perform specific non-trivial tasks, and deriving the principles from what I've done. This is not the easy way to do it, but it works, to a certain extent.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Oh, I'm sure you can find some resources for learning PowerShell, if you look around. . . icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sure you can find some resources for learning PowerShell, if you look around. . . icon_wink.gif

I swear I searched, and didn't see any results. Thanks!
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    All you need to know is basic PowerShell syntax (what cmd-lets look like) and some commands.
  • Options
    Reg777Reg777 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    does anyone know what version of powershell is tested in the 70-680, 70-685, 70-686 exams?
    would it be recommended to study powershell 2 first? or go straight to powershell 3?
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    powershell 2 for windows 7, 3 is standard in 8 and an upgrade for 7
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I would like to reiterate the information some others have stated previously; you can pass the 70-680 without ever having opened PS. If you want to learn it, great! But don't expect to see any of it on the exam aside from a few very minor things that are more tied to deployment tools than PS.

As for the difference between PS2 (Windows 7) and PS3 (Windows 8 ) I don't think there is much going on other than the ISE tool has been revamped a little. My understanding is that if you can perform scripting in PS2 then you are good to go in PS3. That said, it would not hurt to study the PS2 interface because it is the Windows 7 default ISE.