Options

Looks like someone is baking some competition to the Pi

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Looks interesting - but I wonder if the price-point will position it to compete with the Pi on an even playing field. I can see them laying it down at ~$300 for a mid-range model, compared to the $35 Pi
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    The price will be several hundred dollars. It's just a Gigabyte-branded Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing). Many other companies will be launching their own with the same specs and designs and you can even get the board and install it in your own NUC enclosure.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont think this competes with the Pi at all.
    Just looks like a small form factor PC that will be much more expensive
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can also see the target consumers being different.
    The Raspberry Pi originally was aimed at bringing computer exposure to students (especially!) and low income users who couldn't afford other devices as a opportunity for them to own a functional piece of hardware and learn the essentials required to pass O-Level and A-Level computer science (which loosely parallel HS here in the US), hence it's position as a charitable organization.
    About us | Raspberry Pi
    I remember the HS I attended growing up had one computer which worked sometimes and I spent many hours at an internet cafe because I couldn't afford my own.

However it has seen much popularity with hobbyists and people who already have multiple devices.
    I can see the Gigabyte Brix having stronger appeal to hobbyists or people who are just looking to hop on the next trend.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah like ccnxjr said, the Pi is like those science fair kits I used to get at Radio Shack as a kid.
    This is like a Mac Mini or Intel NUC, maybe the Chrome Box that I heard some guy in Alaska bought one...
  • Options
    010101010101 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's interesting.
    I use a Raspberry PI for a XBMC box. Works great.
    Cheap, low electric usage, just enough CPU to do the job.