Options

That 1st job

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
So, I'm a fresh college graduate with Network+ and CCNA.

What can I do to land a first real job?

I shouldn't bother going into concentrations for Cisco stuffs since I have 0 experience?

What would help now? A+? MTA?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What do you want to do? A+ could certainly help, but frankly it's a lower-level certification than CCNA and shouldn't be necessary unless you would really like to start off at the very bottom of a non-networking field.

MTA is absolutely not the answer. If you want to broaden your skills to include Microsoft systems administration, MCSA is the answer.

IMO you have enough certs and education to get an entry-level position, regardless of what you're looking to get into long-term. It's just a matter of getting your resume shaped and getting it out there.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SponxSponx Member Posts: 161
    Find an entry level position that can utilize your current knowledge and skillsets... Stay there for a little (6months - a year), and then apply your knowledge and skillsets to another company and keep building your experience and salary. That's my recommendation! If you need lower end certifications I would probably go with a Security+ since you already have your Net+ and then go into A+, and start learning/studying for your CISSP.
    Personal Website | LinkedIn Account | Spiceworks Account | Field Services Engineer

Certifications (Held): A+, CWP, Dell Certified
    Certifications (Studying):
    Network+, Security+
    Certifications (In Planning): Server+,
    ICND1 (CCENT), ICND2 (CCNA)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mobility certification could help :)

I'm just saying.

Seriously though with your CCNA and degree you should be good to go. You could start in a company and move up with the CCNA or jump jobs and gain more experience if you find yourself hitting a glass ceiling.
  • Options
    Shall I put my cert gathering on hold?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sendalot wrote: »
    never do that until you cant go any higher or are satisfied
  • Options
    dr.whodr.who Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You have I am guessing a degree in IT of some sort, plus network+ and your CCNA you are more then qualified to go after pretty much any entry posting. Like Sponx noted, get working for bit and then use experince plus your education to go in what direction you want. that said Since you have your CCNA and Network+ I am guessing you like that kind of stuff I would say find that entry job, and volunteer for any networking project or task you can. Show them thats the way you want to go. Mind you same applies if you want to go after support, programming or whateve. just my thought.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sendalot wrote: »

Never (almost), but you shouldn't put your resume sending-out on hold either. You definitely have enough to get a job now. I don't think there's anything you can do at this point that would justify deferring employment further.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I would put your certifications on hold and focus more on employment. Keep reading and researching, but don't put yourself under that heavy burden until you find a nice job and become comfortable. Then reevaluate where you are at and move forward. Going for a bunch of certifications now is not recommended IMO. You have more than most and that is saying a lot. I mean you have you NA and you just graduated college. Nice work!

As a career coach I will give you 3 main things to focus on.

1. Resume
    2. Communication skills. Learning ITIL definition is a great start
    3. Exercise and eat well.

Those 3 pieces will get you farther than any certification right now. Enjoy your downtime and hangout with friends. Life is short and you don't want to miss out a the fun things.

I love the ambition but redirect towards the ultimate goal a job.
  • Options
    Will do. Thank you all.
  • Options
    You already have the CAPM PMBOK terminology, that is a very nice set of information to obtain. ITIL will come right over the top of that.