Options

Yet another happy Security+'er

TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
Finally passed my Security+ exam yesterday afternoon.
My score was 808 out of 900.

I felt I was running a bit out of time after question 65, so started to rush a bit, but ended up with having three minutes left.
Was a bit afraid I'd hit questions in the end where I would use a lot of time.
Might also be because I'm not a native English speaker / reader so I read questions multiple times.

I did the Network+ two months ago so I was not really suppose to start studying for the Security+ up till now, but while on holiday it was just to difficult to leave Darril's book in my bag, so it came a long and got to enjoy a numerous of coffees as well:D

I studied for about a month.

Read Darril's book once (did the assessment exam first), all the chapter test as I read on and in the end I did the practice exam.
Watched all the Professor Messer's Security+ videoes after I read the book as a good refresher, you get to pick up some details here.

The night before I read the acronym list and In the morning before the exam I read all the "Remember this" boxes.

As a study technique I recommend reading the chapters and do the chapter test the next day or at least on a different day. Once you enter the test center start out with writing down all the ports you have been practicing.

CompTIA exams are pretty pricey and is not something I'd like to fail.

Darril's book is definitely the holy Security+ bible and is not just another book on the shelf, but probably a resource I will open up many times in a real job while writing documentation in terms of policies or BIA and so on.

Next up Linux!icon_study.gif
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the pass. Great post. Good luck with the Linux exam.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats on the pass, I have to agree with the book. Darril's book is the only resource I used when I passed my exam and still now years later it has a permanent spot on my resource shelf :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
  • Options
    _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on Linux
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your Sec+. Best of luck with your linux exam. :)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Jacob25Jacob25 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that's next in line for me too
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats on your Sec+ pass Trashman! I always find it extra impressive when non-native English speakers excel on exams in general. Good luck on your Linux journey!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and goodluck with Linux!!!!
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Thank you all!
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018