Options

Requesting Advice

VuduVudu Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello TechExams, I'm Vudu.

I was curious on what certifications I should prepare to take next year.

I'm 16 years old, and have a great passion for computing, specifically system administration, database administration. and C# programming, I am currently in grade 11, have been part of a university-level electronics course for 3 years, and part of a university-level computer science course for 3 years as well. In my free time, I've been learning networking, programming and essential hardware knowledge.

Networking: TCP/IP, MySQL, SSH, Databases & Data Mining
Programming: JavaScript, Python, Ruby, C#
Software: Linux, Linux, Linux. ;)
Hardware: Cluster computing, Micro Controllers (Pi, Arduino), Being a technician

I have an open frame of 4-5 hours each night for studies regarding computing, anything that may seem fit for this
time frame would be great.

I'm interested in database administration for post secondary studies in a computer science field. I have researched many
different certifications (Microsoft & Oracle) and am looking for advice on what seems suitable for me to take my grade 12 year. An explanatory answer would be great as well. Thank you for your time!

-Vudu

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Respect for kicking it at such a young age. Keep going!

Here is what I think makes sense: To be well-rounded you need to understand the operating system, the network and the application. For operating system your choice is obviously Linux so I would recommend that you look into RHCSA/RHCE. Those two are the most valuable Linux certifications around. As for the the network you should go with either Network+ or (better) Cisco's CCNA. If you are into databases there is probably no way around Oracle's OCP (or better). However, as far as I know, Oracle requires you to take a course before you can take the exam. But maybe there are some online courses or similar available to lower the cost.

I think you are on a very good way. If you look into the material for RHCSA/RHCE, Net+/CCNA and OCA/OCP then you will learn a lot.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    VuduVudu Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for the input, I'll do a bit of research tonight and hopefully we can chat again about this.

-Vudu
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    What do you want to do?
    are you currently working in school or outside with computers n stuff?
    If not I'd start with the basics... you know A+, N+
    if you already have a job then I'd go for CCNA or Microsoft related certs
    specially MS certs if you want to do DBA
    meh